Happy Flipping Valentine's Day
By thisblogisepic on February 14, 2014
**That title is very much the PG version of what I wanted to call this post... I decided to behave :p**
This year, I'd determined that I was not going to let Valentine's Day get me down. I was doing really, really well with that actually until about 1 pm. I got slammed with a cold. I was teaching Grade 2 Drama and my head plugged up, I couldn't finish sentences without sneezing, and the kids were all like "you sound funny!"
I know, right? Funnier than usual, of course ;)
I'm supposed to be headed away for the weekend, since in Ontario it's Family Day weekend and it's a long weekend. Wooo! No school on Monday! I'm picking my brother and his fiancée up on my way, and it's supposed to be fun. I was supposed to go away two weekends ago as well, to see a bunch of my Camp peeps... and I got sick then, too.
You see, this is the curse of working with children who don't blow their noses, who sneeze directly onto my arm without covering my mouth, and who insist on hugging me all. the. time whilst snot drips from their noses. And you'd think that by Kindergarten, Grade 1, and Grade 2... they'd have figured out that these things are not ok. Well... some of them haven't. They share their germs quite freely. I've been sick off and on since November.... more on... but I digress.
I was having a really good Valentine's Day until I got sick, and then came home and opened Facebook. I should have known better than to open Facebook when I was already feeling icky, but Facebook did me in. When I opened it up, I found that....
- Several of my friends received beautiful bouquets of roses today
- Several of my friends are going out for lovely dinners this evening
- Some of my friends are going out with their friends to celebrate their singleness together (which I'd totally be doing if not for the snot coming out of my own nose... bahaha)
- Many of my friends are chilling with their kids
- Every blog I follow has posted about Valentine's Day... all week.
- A friend's Dad drove all the way out to her home to deliver her flowers, a Starbucks card, and a card just for her. My heart melted.
- One friend has posted honeymoon pictures
Now, this side of a spoonful of Buckley's, I have a bit of a better perspective.
I love my God, my friends, my family, my job, my students, my house, pretty much my life... I don't need to be upset because I lack any of the things in that point form list on Valentine's Day for a couple of reasons.
- It's one day a year, and it's highly over-commercialized .... therefore its sole purpose isn't for love, it's for money.
- I was completely content with everything in my life ... um... yesterday. So this is silly.
- I am genuinely happy that all of the people in my life have things that they can look at and be truly thankful for. We're all blessed.
So instead of burying myself under my blankets and crying or moping about the things I don't have, I choose to be thankful for the many, MANY things I DO have. I think that I will go to the store, and I will buy some conditioner (I'm almost out, and I'm going away all weekend. Bad news bears.), and then I will hit the Tim Horton's Drive Thru for some soup. What else would any good Canadian girl do when she's not feeling well? If it can't be cured by Timmy's Chicken Noodle and some Buckley's, you might as well buy a gravestone.
Check me out at http://thisblogisepic.wordpress.com