Happy "V" Day!
By janetkay on February 10, 2009
No, I’m not talking about February 14. I never have much liked that day. Historically, it just hasn’t gone well for me.
Tia at Clever Girl Goes Blog has assigned me the letter V for the ABC Game. The concept is that if you want to participate, you leave a comment and ask to be assigned a letter. The blog author will assign you a letter, and then you post in your own blog 10 things you love that start with that letter. Tia has a great blog (and I highly recommend you take a look) so I wrote and told her so and asked her to assign me a letter. She responded back with this, “thank you! will you still love my blog when i tell you your letter is V? good luck!”
At first I thought, “Yeah, thanks a lot Tia. What the hell starts with V anyway?” Then I started thinking of everything I possibly could that started with V, and strangely, everything I was coming up with was sexual in nature. I mean, what comes to your mind? The first word I thought of was vagina. I think that’s because of the whole “Vagina Monologues” and V Day thing. And, while I suppose I’m fond of mine, I’m not sure I “love” it. And I don’t much think you want to read a whole blog about it either. So, I kept thinking…Viagra…virgin…vibrator…vulva… What the hell is it with this letter?!
Anyhow, 24 hours later, I have completed my list. And it was actually kind of interesting and challenging to come up with, so thank you Tia for not giving me a normal letter like T or S.
1. Vampire. Okay, you knew that was coming. And obviously, not just any old vampire, but one in particular.
2. Vacuuming. You probably knew that one was coming too. I don’t know that I so much love the act of vacuuming as much as I love it when my house has been vacuumed. But it is satisifying, and I do it often. Just ask X.
3. Vincent VanGogh. As a former art teacher, I realize it’s probably rather cliche to say that VanGogh is one’s favorite artist, but he really is mine. I have both “Sunflowers” and “Irises” in my kitchen. My favorite though is “Starry Night,” which, now that I think of it, I do not have in my house. I must remedy that situation.
4. Vision. It might be strange for someone who has such poor vision to say she loves vision. Maybe that’s exactly why I love mine so much. I’ve had to work very hard for it. And I do truly love art, nature, decorating, just beauty in general, so I love having vision to see those things. (And of course there’s the whole idea of having a “vision” for one’s life, for the future, for a goal, whatever, but really, I meant it more literally.)
5. Vanilla Diet Coke. I really prefer Diet Pepsi to Diet Coke (Which by the way, brings up another beef I have with Wal-mart. Mine has stopped carrying caffeine free Diet Pepsi. What the hell is up with that?! Can they do that? I mean, NONE. To two-liters, no cans, no bottles, NONE. Maybe it is being held hostage somewhere along with the cotton balls.) But the exception is when I can get vanilla Diet Coke. That is really my favorite favorite.
6. Violets. Okay, so this is the one on my list I’m most ambivalent about. Violets are not my favorite flowers. But I do actually like shower gel, candles, etc… that are violet scented. Which I’m not sure is truly what violets smell like. Anyway, it was a toss up between violets and Victor Newman. And I don’t so much like Victor as I like Young and the Restless in general. So, I went with violets.
7. Vacation. When I say “vacation” I don’t mean actually going anywhere. I actually don’t much like that. But I love being on vacation from work.
8. Voting. I’m really not just jumping on the bandwagon here because this was the year it was “in” to vote. I have voted in most elections since I turned 18. And I like that I live in a country where I’m allowed to do that.
9. Vegetables. I’m working on the whole vegetarian thing. Not quite there. But I do truly love eating vegetables. More than fruit. Strange I know. Brocolli is my favorite, and when I was a kid, you couldn’t have gotten me near brocolli.
10. Voice. I love to sing. I love to talk. I love to listen to other people sing (not so much to talk). And, going back to the voting thing, I like being able to “have a voice” in what goes on in the world.
So, there it is. My ABC Game list. Interesting thing to think about for a day. If you want to play along, post it in the comments, and I’ll assign you a letter.