Health Benefits of Pumpkin Seeds + Easy Recipe
By YellowTurtleFitness on October 25, 2013
Carving a pumpkin this weekend? Save those seeds!
Pumpkin seeds are powerhouses of nutrition, boasting the following benefits, and more:
- Excellent source of Zinc, boosting immunity throughout the cold & flu season
- One of the few foods that increase in nutritional value as they age. Tests have shown protein content increases exponentially in storage. Be sure to refrigerate or freeze them, so they don’t become rancid, however.
- Phytosterols help reduce LDL Cholesterol
- Great anti-inflammatory food! May provide some relief for those with arthritis
- Runs the gamut for B-Vitamin content. Contains riboflavin, thiamin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B-6 and folate. This spells E-N-E-R-G-Y for you!
- Those same B Vitamins also help support a healthy Metabolism
- L-tryptophan content aids in sleep, as well as contributes to alleviating depression symptoms
- A few studies have shown that Pumpkin Seeds may assist in preventing formation of kidney stones
These are just some of the many benefits of eating pumpkin seeds regularly.
While I have posted a basic recipe for seed roasting below, it’s not the only way to enjoy them!
You can also add seeds to loaves of bread, top cereal or yogurt, add to soups, ground into meatloaf, combine with grains or beans to make vegetarian “burgers”, use in desserts(top a pumpkin cheesecake or pie with whipped cream and candied pumpkin seeds!), in pilafs, salads, chopped with goat cheese, and much more. Use your imagination, and enjoy them year round for the most health benefit.
More Like This
Recent Posts by YellowTurtleFitness
Most Popular on BlogHer
Hearing your baby laugh is the most amazing sound. Discover why baby laughter is so important, your baby’s own Baby Laugh Index™, and much more at www.babylaughindex.com.BlogHer and Bright Starts™ asked 10 bloggers to share what kind of laugh their kids have and to try out one of these fun toys: the Jungle Fun Ball Climber™, the Hide 'n Spin Monkey™, or the 3-in-1 Step 'n Ride Lion™ . Check out their posts and learn how you could win one too! Read more