Ladies: You Don't Need to Be Perfect
By Elizabeth.Hawksworth on April 01, 2013
Featured Member Post
Some of us are prettier when we don’t smile.
As women, we are told:
- Be perfect, always. Perfectly dressed. Perfectly made up. Perfectly intelligent, clean, thin, beautiful, polite. Perfectly perfect.
- Always remember to be a lady. A lady, you know, is someone who is all of number 1.
- Never speak too loudly. Never draw attention.
- Find a career that you can grow in. Don’t make waves.
- Have babies. Raise them yourself. Don’t depend on other people to do that for you – especially other women.
- Think what society tells you to think.
- You’ll never go far unless you can act like a man.
- Don’t be hysterical. Yes, passion means hysteria.
- Keep your interests under wraps, unless they’re mainstream.
Here’s what I’ve learned as a woman:
- Perfection is only perfect until something cracks it right down the middle. Don’t bother striving for perfection. Instead, strive for genuine honesty.
Fuck being a lady. Be a person your children would be proud to know. Be someone who makes history.
- Scream if you have to. Be impolite. Tell them what you think and be ready to defend it to the death. It’s your right.
- Find a career that pays the bills – and chase your dreams while you work. Never give up. Don’t take bullshit. Strive for the best. Follow your bliss.
- Have children if you want. Don’t if you don’t. You’re not needed to be a mother unless you want to be.
- Think outside the box. Come up with ideas no one’s thought of. Show everyone how awesome your mind is. Fuck society.
- Let’s strive to change the definition of what a woman means. Women are strong. Women are bloody. Women bear pain. And that alone makes us willing to go the extra mile for anything worthwhile.
- Be hysterical if you want to. Don’t let anyone tell you your thoughts are too emotional. The best stories are born of emotion. The changes in history were born from passion.
- Blossom and learn. Be an engineer. Be a basketweaver. You live in a society where you can do anything. There are no limits!
- Smile if you’ve got something to smile about. You’re not required to smile for anyone unless they deserve it.
I’m a hell of a lot prettier when I don’t smile. My thoughts, my interests, my dreams, my womanhood, make me beautiful. No one is special, because we all are. No one owes anyone a damn thing.
Because some of us are prettier when we don’t smile – because we know we don’t have to in order to be worth something in this world.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Elizabeth.Hawksworth
Most Popular on BlogHer
There’s no better vehicle to bring the family together than the Chevy Traverse. It’s the ultimate family vehicle, and the inspiration behind the tales that these bloggers are sharing about those special moments spent with their families. Check out the posts to see just how different, and, in many ways, the same, family time is nowadays as compared to when the bloggers were younger. Read more
Most Popular on Body Image
Recent Comments on Body Image