Ladies: You Don't Need to Be Perfect
By Elizabeth.Hawksworth on April 01, 2013
Featured Member Post
Some of us are prettier when we don’t smile.
As women, we are told:
- Be perfect, always. Perfectly dressed. Perfectly made up. Perfectly intelligent, clean, thin, beautiful, polite. Perfectly perfect.
- Always remember to be a lady. A lady, you know, is someone who is all of number 1.
- Never speak too loudly. Never draw attention.
- Find a career that you can grow in. Don’t make waves.
- Have babies. Raise them yourself. Don’t depend on other people to do that for you – especially other women.
- Think what society tells you to think.
- You’ll never go far unless you can act like a man.
- Don’t be hysterical. Yes, passion means hysteria.
- Keep your interests under wraps, unless they’re mainstream.
Here’s what I’ve learned as a woman:
- Perfection is only perfect until something cracks it right down the middle. Don’t bother striving for perfection. Instead, strive for genuine honesty.
Fuck being a lady. Be a person your children would be proud to know. Be someone who makes history.
- Scream if you have to. Be impolite. Tell them what you think and be ready to defend it to the death. It’s your right.
- Find a career that pays the bills – and chase your dreams while you work. Never give up. Don’t take bullshit. Strive for the best. Follow your bliss.
- Have children if you want. Don’t if you don’t. You’re not needed to be a mother unless you want to be.
- Think outside the box. Come up with ideas no one’s thought of. Show everyone how awesome your mind is. Fuck society.
- Let’s strive to change the definition of what a woman means. Women are strong. Women are bloody. Women bear pain. And that alone makes us willing to go the extra mile for anything worthwhile.
- Be hysterical if you want to. Don’t let anyone tell you your thoughts are too emotional. The best stories are born of emotion. The changes in history were born from passion.
- Blossom and learn. Be an engineer. Be a basketweaver. You live in a society where you can do anything. There are no limits!
- Smile if you’ve got something to smile about. You’re not required to smile for anyone unless they deserve it.
I’m a hell of a lot prettier when I don’t smile. My thoughts, my interests, my dreams, my womanhood, make me beautiful. No one is special, because we all are. No one owes anyone a damn thing.
Because some of us are prettier when we don’t smile – because we know we don’t have to in order to be worth something in this world.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Elizabeth.Hawksworth
Most Popular on BlogHer