Hollywood Lingo: A Tool Of The Tinseltown Trade

Whose desk have you sat on?” was one of the first questions I was asked at a job interview. I was interviewing to be a Hollywood assistant, and I had no idea that this question was the industry’s way of asking who I had previously worked for.  It was not a question about  whether or not I had occupied a piece of furniture lately. That was my first lesson in “Hollywood lingo.” I had moved to a town where one of the best skills to have on your resume is the ability to “roll calls.”  Certainly, this sounds like some sort of top-secret skill that one must study in order to master it. In reality,”rolling a call” is very simple.  Let’s say that your boss’ name is Mr. Smith, here’s what rolling a call would sound like:  “Hi,” you say, “I have Mr. Smith for ‘So and So’.”   When “So and So” gets on the line you say: “Hi ‘So and So,’ you’re on with Mr. Smith.”  To sum it up, “rolling calls” means to dial a phone number and get someone on the other end of it. Even the most normal tasks are sprinkled with grandiose terminology in Tinseltown.



In order to comment on BlogHer.com, you'll need to be logged in. You'll be given the option to log in or create an account when you publish your comment. If you do not log in or create an account, your comment will not be displayed.