Homemade Halloween Treats: Caramel Apples
By kimmieklewis6 on October 16, 2013
Featured Member Post
It's a tradition at our house to make caramel apples for Halloween! I have tried using the caramels from the store and recipes from other sites but my caramel apples never turn out perfect. They still taste good but if you want to give them to someone other than a family, you want them to look pretty.
With the help of my hubby, I think we came up with a super delicious and pretty caramel apple.
8 to 10 Granny Smith apples (depending on the size)
2 sticks butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups corn syrup
2 cans sweetened condensed milk
8 to 10 sticks
Image: Courtesy of Lou Lou Girls
- Wash and completely dry the apples, make sure to take off any stickers. Insert a stick into the stem end of each apple.
- Spray nonstick spray onto a cookie sheet.
- In a large pan, melt butter on a medium heat. Add brown sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk.
- Stir constantly; it will take about 10 to 15 minutes. Make sure the heat on the pan is not too hot or your caramel will burn.
- The mixture will be done when to reaches 246 degrees or a firm ball. (If you drip a little caramel into ice-cold water and it forms a ball in your fingertips, it's done.)
- Remove from the heat and let sit for a couple of minutes.
- Then dip your apples in the caramel. Hold over the pan, turning the apple until the caramel has set.
- Dip in your favorite topping! We loved Oreos, sprinkles, Heath bar, and chocolate chips.
To make a apple pie caramel apple:
- Melt White chocolate chips in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir until smooth.
- Dip caramel apple into the white chocolate.
- Sprinkle a mixture of sugar and cinnamon (equal parts) onto the chocolate.
More Like This
Recent Posts by kimmieklewis6
Most Popular on BlogHer
In the U.S., women have family planning services that are safe and affordable, but across the globe, it is a different story. EngenderHealth's WTFP?! (Where’s the Family Planning) campaign is supported by our bloggers. Read their personal stories and thoughts on family planning. Read more
Most Popular on Food
Tyson Fresh Chicken Reviews
With a little help from Tyson Fresh Chicken, bloggers share their favorite chicken recipes for mealtime with the family. Read their posts and enter for a chance to win a kitchen goods gift basket!