Homemade Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
By Garlic_Girl on September 07, 2011
Featured Member Post
Making these little cookie ice cream sandwiches made me so happy today! My favorite little twins are coming over and I was going to buy one of their favorite desserts, ice cream sandwiches, but decided instead that I would create healthier and tastier ones. So I baked oatmeal cookies made with whole wheat flour and my favorite Bob’s Red Mill rolled oats, stuffed them with good vanilla ice cream, rolled them in semi-sweet chocolate chips and voila! I’m just crazy about them and might have to eat one with the kids. If you want to put a smile on a kid’s face (or your favorite adult), this is a sure bet! Get creative by making your favorite cookies and buying your favorite ice cream – the options are limitless!!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (white whole wheat if you can)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (or less)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups rolled oats (I prefer Bob’s Red Mill)
- optional, 1 cup raisins
- vanilla ice cream
- semi sweet chocolate chips
- For the cookies, in mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients except the rolled oats.
- In separate large bowl, beat the butter with the sugar until creamy. Add the vanilla extract and the eggs, one at a time and beat after each egg. Continue to beat on low until incorporated (less than a minute).
- Stir in the oats. If you’d like to add raisins you would add them at this time.
- Drop rounded tablespoons on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. Turn the pan around and bake for another five minutes or until light golden brown.
- Let cool completely on rack.
- To assemble ice cream sandwich, put a big scoop of ice cream on flat side of one cookie. You can push it down with your hand (covered with a little plastic wrap or paper towel so your hand doesn’t get ice cream on it).
- Put another cookie on the top and roll the sides in the chocolate chips. Serve immediately or put individually in freezer.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Garlic_Girl
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Food
FoodSaver® Reviews & Giveaways
Save time, money and space with the FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System! Air is the enemy of freshness and FoodSaver® vacuum sealers remove and lock out air and moisture. It keeps food fresh up to 5x longer! Read our bloggers' posts and know more about FoodSaver® plus get a chance to win $100!