Homemade Spaghetti Sauce, Italian-Style
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
Author: Kimberly Bither, M.S.
Recipe type: Dinner
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Authentic Italian Spaghetti Sauce. This recipe comes from my friend's mother who is from Southern Italy. I visited with her last week and she was kind enough to share her family recipe with me. I expected something elaborate, but it was so simple, really (just as good food should be!). You don't even need a crockpot. Enjoy!
- 2 Jars (28 oz) Canned Whole Tomatoes* (she cans her own tomatoes, recipe below)
- Basil Leaves (a handful), chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- Salt, to taste
- Olive Oil, for sautéing
- Option: You can add 12 oz. of heavy cream and turn this into a vodka sauce.
- If you want to use the finest ingredients, can your own tomatoes (either farm-picked or fresh store-bought). You can take the tomatoes whole with skin intact and place them in a canning jar with a little salt and some basil. Place the jars in a canning pot, boil and seal according to standard canning recipes.
- Place garlic and onion in deep skillet pan and sauté in olive oil. Be careful to cook only until soft and shiny, don't overcook.
- Place remaining ingredients (except basil) in a food processor and slightly puree*
- Add mixture to pan and bring to a boil.
- Add basil.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes (just slightly bubbling)
- Add cooked ground beef or pork, if desired. Simmer 5 more minutes.
Interesting Note: I was told oregano shouldn't be used in sauce. It's too bitter and gets more bitter when it is cooked. Should only be used fresh in recipes.
Recipe by Kimberly Bither at http://kimberlybither.com/homemade-spaghetti-sauce/
April 24, 2017 - 10:26am by AFewGoodJens
April 19, 2017 - 4:59am by Elisa Camahort