Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
One of our favorite treats are cupcakes. Who wouldn’t enjoy a personal cake to yourself? Apparently a lot of people do since there are cupcake shops sprouting up every where we look. We came up with these cute hot chocolate cupcakes. They are the perfect treat. You can choose to top them with candies or not. Either way they are delicious. So we must admit, these were made with a box cake mix but the addition of a family secret, makes them amazing. The secret ingredient is…a pack of pudding. Add a pack of pudding to any cake mix you are making. If it is a white cake, add vanilla and if it is a chocolate cake, add chocolate pudding. You will never forgo the pudding again, once you try them.
- Chocolate Box cake mix
- 1 pack Chocolate Jello pudding mix
- 1¼ Cups Water
- ½ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks or ½ pound), softened (but not melted!) Ideal texture should be like ice cream.
- 3-4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- up to 4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tin with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat together the cake mix, pudding, oil, eggs, and water
- Using a large cookie scoop, distribute the batter between 24 muffin wells; about 3 tablespoons of batter per well.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-22 minutes or until the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly touched. Allow cupcakes to cool inside muffin tins for about 10 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from muffin tins and allow to fully cool on a wire rack. Once cupcakes are cool, prepare your frosting.
- Beat butter for a few minutes with a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons of milk/cream and beat for 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add remaining milk 1 tablespoons at a time.
- ***can top the cupcakes with crushed peppermint candies, if you wish