How (Not) to Change a Diaper
By Maybe Diaries on February 14, 2014
Featured Member Post
It's not hard to freshen up a baby's undercrackers, right? The procedure is pretty basic:
- Lie down
- Rip, rip
- Stick, stick
You can then stand back and admire your handiwork safe in the knowledge that there will be no poo-splosion on your watch.
Fast forward eight months and the picture isn't so rosy.
Oh it is OHN!
Maybe it's just my children -- although the popularity of tie down change tables in public toilets tells me otherwise -- but my babies don't just lie still for nappy changes.
My babies delight in turning nappy changes into a bizarre ritualistic game, the rules of which remain a complete mystery:
- Lie baby down.
- Watch baby flip over.
- Turn baby onto back again and pin with one hand.
- Remove old nappy with one hand.
- Ignore the slightly squishy feeling on the end of finger.
- Reach for wipe with one hand, realize you forgot to take one out of the packet.
- Try and pry a single wipe from packet with one hand using a flapping motion.
- Give up when wipe decides to bring some friends for the ride.
- Calculate that you can remove hand from wriggling baby, grab wipe with both hands and get back to baby before they flip over and crawl away.
- Realize you have miscalculated as you watch the baby crawl away before the wipe is out of the packet.
- Recapture baby.
- Bribe four year old to come and wave a toy over the baby's head as a distraction.
- Remonstrate with son for lack of enthusiasm.
- Grab baby as son wanders off to play.
- Decide to try pinning baby with one leg in a strange sideways changing formation.
- Give that up as a bad job as it doesn't stop the baby flipping over.
- Call two-year-old and give them permission to blow raspberries at will.
- Sit back and smile at semi naked baby laughing hysterically at her big sister.
- Sneak nappy under baby's butt mid-raspberry.
- Untangle baby's fingers from screaming two-year-old's hair.
- Contemplate giving up on nappies and starting Elimination Communication.
- Call husband over for help while pinning baby down by all four limbs.
- Assume superior expression as husband takes over.
- Watch as baby lies still, coos, and allows husband to change nappy without so much as a toe wiggle.
- Call baby uncharitable name and try not to smile at the gummy grin.
This is not parenting, this is a full contact sport and I'm taking a kicking.
Mum, activist and parenting junkie. Passionate about empowering women and living a good life with my family. http://www.maybediaries.com/
More Like This
Recent Posts by Maybe Diaries
Most Popular on BlogHer
Nate Berkus brings his celebrated style to LG’s premium line of kitchen appliances. See how our bloggers incorporated this style with with just a few simple tweaks. Enter "My Kitchen Needs Nate" contest for a chance to win an ultimate dream kitchen. Read more
Most Popular on Family
Recent Comments on Family