How to cook pie pumpkins
By mommaowls on November 09, 2013
Every year my kiddos head to the pumpkin patch for a field trip for school. Every year they bring home a pie pumpkin. We deocorate it, then it gets thrown out after Halloween. This year we ended up with five of those pumpkins and I just could not bring myself to pitch them out. I decided to try cooking them. I found this method at allrecipes.com. They had three methods – baking, boiling, and microwaving. I chose the baking method. It worked great and the house smelled wonderful.
What you need:
- Sugar(pie) pumpkin
What to do:
1. Cut the pumpkin in half and remove the stem.
2. Clean out the seeds and stringy pulp. (You can save the seeds and roast them. See how to here.)
3. Place the halves, face down, in to a shallow baking dish and cover with foil.
4. Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) oven for about 1½ hours for a medium-sized sugar pumpkin, or until tender.
5. Once the baked pumpkin has cooled, scoop out the flesh and puree or mash it.
Store in the refrigerator until needed in a recipe. You can substitute it for canned cup-for-cup. I added 1/2 cup to our pancake batter with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. The pancakes had a very mild pumpkin flavor. Try these delicious recipes from Camp Mommawatchi -Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies and Pumpkin Pancakes.
Amber Tincher and Amy Leckrone
Co-founders of Camp Mommawatchi
Purchase at-home camp curriculum at www.campmommawatchi.com
More Like This
Recent Posts by mommaowls
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Cooking for Health
Recent Comments on Cooking for Health