How to Hire the Right Sales Executive
By healthline on January 09, 2014
Finding good sales people might be more challenging than you realize, especially since there are specific characteristics that you need to consider before hiring a new employee or a sales manager. Successful sales teams can be a huge asset to any business, as they form part of the driving force that helps to grow the organization into a profitable, sustainable one.
Working with Sales Executives
As a business owner or key decision maker, hiring a suitable sales executives or sales manager is crucial; you need strong leaders that will not only manage a sales team but have the ability to lead by example. Added to that, you need someone with a strong sales background to be able to identify with your target market and formulate sales strategies that will propel your business to success. Here are a few other important tips to consider:
- Carefully consider experience. A candidate with three years of top-notch sales experience in a highly driven environment can be more valuable than someone with 10 years' mediocre experience.
- Look deeper. When interviewing a sales manager, always personally confirm references and qualifications and do a personality assessment. You want someone that will absolutely love what they do, not someone who simply needs a paycheck.
- Get a second opinion. If you are part of the hiring team, always consider the views and opinions of your team members. You don't want to choose someone who goes out of their way to impress you - rather make sure that you all agree on your decision.
Once you find the perfect executive to add to the team, get the ball rolling. Get them up to speed as fast as possible and make sure that they have everything they need. Consider their perspective when starting a new job - make them feel comfortable.
Finding the Perfect Sales Position
As a job seeker, your sales background is essential when applying for a vacancy in a sales department. Moreover, you need to show talent, a positive attitude and a genuine interest in what the company sells. Sales positions might attract many candidates but landing a job will require more than just a desire to work - you need to have something unique to offer.
As a job seeker in a sales environment, here are a few tips:
- Be specific about the role you are seeking
- Clean up your resume and confirm your credentials
- Learn about the company you want to work for
- Market yourself honestly and effectively
- Don't be afraid to voice your weaknesses
People may hire for many different reasons; you need to have the right timing, a skill set that they can benefit from and a genuine interest in the job at hand. Competition can be tough, so make sure you know how to market yourself if you want to become a sales manager.
Hiring a Sales Manager
When it comes to hiring a new sales manager, you should look for a specific individual that shows initiative and have the experience to back that up. Keep in mind that hiring a new sales manager might be a highlight for many businesses but it can also be an expensive choice - which is why it should be done right from the start. If the candidate has a specific qualification make sure that you verify it; you can do this with tools like License Direct or the U.S. Small Business Administration.
If you represent a start-up, hiring a new sales manager can be a significant step; at the same time it might be just another day at work for executives of a large, multi-million dollar company. Know what your requirements are and keep in mind the reason why you need another sales manager - to boost your profits.
Finally, always remember that the job description is crucial to your hiring success. Attracting the right applicants will make your job so much easier and you will have a magnificent talent pool to choose from. With these tips in mind, finding a new sales manager will be easier - and more effective - than you realize.
More Like This
Recent Posts by healthline
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Lori Luna
Sparkling ICE is a bold flavored sparkling water that truly delivers on taste and contains just the right amount of fizz. Read our bloggers' posts and get more details on how you can enter the Flavor Face Off plus find out more about the delicious flavors that Sparkling ICE has to offer. Read more
Most Popular on Career
Recent Comments on Career