National Doughnut Day is June 4: How To Make Doughnut Holes at Home
By Southernfairytale on June 03, 2010
BlogHer Original Post
Whenever we go for doughnuts, my kids always beg for the doughnut holes. They love the bite-sized bits of crispy, doughy, sugary goodness, and I, well, I just love them, too.
There are so many recipes for doughnut holes, but this is one of my favorites for weekday mornings because it's quick and easy. This is one of those great kid-friendly recipes, easy to make, fun to make and BEST OF ALL ... delicious to eat!
You need a can of biscuits (1 can of 10 count buttermilk makes 40 doughnut holes)
Cut each biscuit into quarters.
Drop into 375 F hot oil
It takes less than 3 minutes to turn the dough into these delicious hot golden bites of crispy, doughy deliciousness.
Remove them from the oil and place them on a paper towel for a moment to allow the oil to drain.
Toss in cinnamon sugar mixture and serve.
- 1 C sugar
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 (10 ct) can buttermilk biscuits
- 375 F hot oil
- Begin heating oil in skillet or fryer (cast-iron, if you're lucky)
- Cut each biscuit into quarters, and roll into balls (they will look really tiny, but they puff up when they cook, trust me)
- When the oil is ready, (375 F) gently drop about 6 doughnut holes at a time into it.
- Using a wooden spoon or slotted fryer spoon, slowly roll the dough in the oil until it's golden all over, remove from oil and place on a paper towel lined plate while you drop in more dough
- Toss with sugar/cinnamon mixture
Serve and enjoy!!!!
* Drizzle with powder sugar glaze
* Drizzle with orange glaze
* Toss with powdered sugar
* Coat with a chocolate glaze
* Use your imagination!
You can find Rachel writing and blogging about her passions; food, photography and family at her blog, appropriately titled: A Southern Fairytale
More Like This
Recent Posts by Southernfairytale
Most Popular on BlogHer
Save time, money and space with the FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System! AND it keeps food fresh up to 5x longer! Read our bloggers' experiences with the FoodSaver® System and see why you should get one for your home. Plus get a chance to win $100 Visa gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Food
Success Rice Farms Reviews & Giveaways
Success® Rice is the ORIGINAL no mess, no measure boil-in-bag rice that cooks perfectly every time and is ready in 10 minutes. Read our bloggers' posts and see how they make hearty meals by adding Success® Rice into their favorite recipes plus get a chance to win $100.