How to rekindle your love for running
By email@example.com on January 13, 2013
Let's face it: Even the nuttiest of running nuts sometimes don't feel like going for a run. And while feeling blah for a day or two can be pretty normal, having those days turn into weeks can be a bit more tricky to snap out of. I hit a pretty bad running slump late last year (which I've thankfully now left behind!) and I thought I'd share with you what pulled me through:
- Get some new gear. It doesn't need to be something big or expensive - even a new pair of running socks usually does the trick for me. Nothing like some new kit to motivate one to get out the door!
- Mix things up! Take a different route; try trail running if you're a road runner; or run during a different time of day. In running, as in life, a change is as good as a holiday.
- Get a running buddy. Or join a running club. Having someone waiting for you for an early morning run just makes it that much easier to get out of bed and get going.
- Cross-train. Combine running with swimming, cycling or gym classes. You'll give your body a break from the demands of running, while at the same time doing something that will benefit your running in the long term. Score!
- Enter a race. Having an event to train for and look forward to always does wonders in terms of motivation. Even more so if it's at a beautiful location or with a friend.
- Follow a running programme. I find that I'm much more focused when I follow a training plan. Winging it might be fun, but it often makes my training feel aimless, which increases the chances of losing interest.
- Take a break. Sometimes feeling blah is the body's way of telling you to back off. You might be overtraining, or simply going through a stressful time at work or at home. I find that it's best to listen: Take a break from running for a week or two, and focus on treating and feeding your body well. You'll be yearning to run in no time.
Have you ever hit a running slump? Any other tips or tricks to share?
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Diet & Fitness
Recent Comments on Diet & Fitness