How well do you know your brain?
By ParentInProgress on June 27, 2014
I ran across this article on how to get your brain in shape and thought I'd post some of the highlights, many of which are just interesting facts:
1. There are 86 billion active neurons in your brain
2. Your brain uses 20% of your energy
3. Gray matter (which carries out thinking) uses most of this energy
4. White matter (which relays signals and coordinates the brain regions) is pretty energy-efficient
5. Neurons rewire themselves based on your genes and experiences
6. Some of the best ways to keep your brain in good shape: antioxidants, exercise, brain training, learning new skills, playing an instrument, learning a second language
It's also important to control other factors (like diabetes, blood pressure, etc.) because they can affect your brain.
More Like This
Recent Posts by ParentInProgress
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Mental Health
Recent Comments on Mental Health