I'd never...the parental version
By CroMom on September 21, 2013
All the things I said I would never do as a parent:
- My kids will not know what a DVR or On Demand is - nope they are just gonna have to turn on the cartoon channel and hope for the best. This is still way better than I had it. I mean our cartoons were on at a specific time and if we missed it we were S.O.L. That's why Sunday morning were so freaking awesome (cuz it certainly wasn't church).
- Make them a special meal. I'm not a short order cook I used to say when I'd see this happen. Today I'm known to whip up a couple of PBJs when dinner is beef stew cuz its easier than listening to the whining.
- Sit in the rain to watch a little one play soccer. Don't get me wrong - I'm a soccer players myself but the idea of sitting in the park and watching a group of 5 years old chase a ball sounded awful. But today, the reality is that I love seeing my little one chase down that ball and score a goal - hell I even look forward to practice. OK...maybe the fact that I get a little adult social time at these events helps too.
- Put up with their bull shit. I mean come on...I'm like your slave around here and I have to deal with this crap. A simple request is often met with a scream of "NOOOOO". This is then met with a timeout - but how many times do we have to do this???
- Talk to the crazy moms. I don't want to talk to them...but they seek me out - I swear! Just my luck, my son's new soccer team and the head of the PTO is one of the moms. She's crazy!!! Nuts I tell you. And she seeks me out!!!
Some of things I think I'm doing right:
- we've got this bedtime thing down pat. When parents comment of are impressed by our bedtime routine I often get a "wow, your lucky they go to bed so easily". It's not luck. It took alot of work to get this routine down.
- Fun/Love/Playtime we do a lot of fun things as a family. For example, tonight my husband planned a camp out fundraiser at his school. He took the two older ones to attend. We do hang out together a lot - and I love it!!! No matter how crazy things get around here, I end my day with a quick mantra of "they are only this little once". There will be a time that they want to spend Saturday with their friends, not with me...and that will be when I get some time to myself - but for now my weekends are packed with fun family things.
- wow - i think that is all I have!
What are you doing right???What are you doing wrong??? How can I get better at this mom thing???
More Like This
Recent Posts by CroMom
Most Popular on BlogHer
Hearing your baby laugh is the most amazing sound. Discover why baby laughter is so important, your baby’s own Baby Laugh Index™, and much more at www.babylaughindex.com.BlogHer and Bright Starts™ asked 10 bloggers to share what kind of laugh their kids have and to try out one of these fun toys: the Jungle Fun Ball Climber™, the Hide 'n Spin Monkey™, or the 3-in-1 Step 'n Ride Lion™ . Check out their posts and learn how you could win one too! Read more
Most Popular on Family
Recent Comments on Family