Indian-Spiced Cabbage Sweet Potato Soup
By DessertByCandy on January 17, 2012
Featured Member Post
Even by the low standard of fad diets, cabbage soup hit a pretty low point in culinary history. I totally understand if you want to run the other way once you find out that I have a cabbage soup recipe for you today. For those of you brave enough to read on, I guarantee that you’ll be rewarded with a feisty, wholesome, and hearty soup that just happens to be vegan and a nutritional powerhouse. Oh, and it has absolutely nothing to do with post-holiday cleanse because, as we all know, we did not over-indulge in cookies and eggnog the last couple of weeks.
My week-long vacation in Virginia had finally came to an end and I returned to my comfortable home last night. What welcomed me was an impeccably clean house thanks to Little Brother’s awesome effort and a fridge mostly devoid of fresh vegetable due to my own great planning. However, that did not mean I had nothing to work with. Given the right treatment, red cabbage, sweet potatoes, onion, a can of cannellini beans, and some leftover canned tomatoes quickly turned into a fragrant pot of soup with spicy kick from garam masala and ginger. The vibrant soup was joined by bits of green onion, roasted cashews, and flaxseed sesame lavash. I only meant to have a few sips before my workout but before I knew it, I gobbled down a large bowl. It was that good.
Vegan cabbage soup may conjure up memories of blandness. Luckily this Indian-Spiced Cabbage Sweet Potato Soup is anything but. First you build up a base of fresh ginger, onion, and garlic sautéed with garam masala. Loads of red cabbage and sweet potatoes jump in along with vegetable stock until everything is simmered to tenderness. Lastly you throw in meaty cannellini beans and pureed tomato for some body. The soup is warming but not fiery, sweet but not cloying. You know you’re putting seriously healthy bites into your body but all that flavour suggests otherwise. I think I’m going for another bowl now!
Indian-Spiced Cabbage Sweet Potato Soup
serves 6 generously
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 3-inch chunk of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon of garam masala
- half a head of medium-size red cabbage, cored and cut into stripes
- 2 medium-size sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of whole canned tomatoes with liquid
- 1 19oz can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- garnish with chopped green onion and roasted cashews
- Heat olive oil in a 5 quart dutch oven or heavy-bottom pot over medium heat until it shimmies.
- Add onion, garlic, and ginger to pot and sauté until onion softens but not brown. Add in garam masala and keep stirring until it is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in red cabbage, sweet potatoes, and vegetable broth. Turn up the heat to medium high and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cover the pot with lid. Simmer for about 25-30 minutes until vegetable are tender.
- In the mean time, puree the tomatoes with their juice until no chunks remain using your weapon of choice (immersion blender, blender, food processor, or food mill).
- Stir in cannellini beans and tomato puree to soup. Turn the heat to medium high and bring to boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (I used about 1 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt).
- Serve hot with chopped green onion and roasted cashews scatter on top.
(originally published at Dessert By Candy)
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Food
FoodSaver® Reviews & Giveaways
Save time, money and space with the FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System! Air is the enemy of freshness and FoodSaver® vacuum sealers remove and lock out air and moisture. It keeps food fresh up to 5x longer! Read our bloggers' posts and know more about FoodSaver® plus get a chance to win $100!
Recent Comments on Food