Interior Design Trends for 2013
By Design Perspective on January 02, 2013
With a new year, comes a time of reflection, a reflection of your interiors. We are always looking for ways to "freshen up" a space or your home, whether it be updating furniture or remodeling a home or building a new home.
Homeowners look to us, the designer, to tell them what will work and what won't. Also, designers influence what the trends will be. Below are my design trends for 2013. I selected these trends based on the demands I've seen in the industry and what my clients are asking for.
Here are my design trends for 2013:
1. Technology: As a whole, we are becoming more and more technology savvy. Technology is now an important factor in building a new home or in remodeling; homeowners are now requesting whole-house systems, security systems, lighting systems, sound systems, etc. With Apple's iPad/iPhone popularity, docking stations are a requirement and are great devices for whole-house systems.
2. American-Made: There is a resurgence in American-made products. It might not be more expensive than furniture made in other countries, but you cannot deny the quality of American-made products. I always try to spec vendors that produce in the U.S, not only is this another form of being green, but also, this helps our economy. I'm a big advocate for supporting our economy and environment, and by using American-made products you are killing two birds with one stone.
A couple of American-made companies
3. Beautifully Green: Being environmentally and sustainably friendly are still the way to go. Again, there will be an even greater focus on creating a healthy living environment for your home, using products that are toxin-free, etc. And the amount of products available are tremendous.
4. Aging in Place: With many of the baby boomers getting older, homes are being designed to help them grow old in their homes. Some examples, are using casement windows with a crank, door handles rather than knobs, and lowering light switches for easy accessibility. You can see posts I've done on aging in place here and here.
5. Color Palette: Color is the new neutral palette (neutral isn't leaving, just taking a backseat), whether it be bold or subtle. Pantone's 2013 color of the year is Emerald and their projected influential color of the year is Monaco Blue. So I believe we will be seeing lots of blues and greens brought into the home. You can see my post on Pantone's color of the year here.
6. Designing your home for the long haul: Since the economy dropped, many people are staying in their homes and updating what they have. Deciding to spend the money to upgrade their home to exactly what they want.
7. Countertops: Hello quartz! Quartz countertops are gaining in popularity. While they aren't replacing granite, the durability of quartz countertops have homeowners taking notice. Quartz countertops are heat resistant, scratch resistant, and microbial resistant, and many of the quartz companies are creating countertops that look like granite/marble.
8. Pattern: Patterns are still big. This year fretwork and geometric patterns are still going strong, but Chinoiserie prints are back (many of the prints will be a modern take on the traditional Chinoiserie)!
9. Function: Homeowners want a more functioning home and space. We are designing spaces that provide ample function for the specific homeowner, whether it be extra storage to accommodation of seating. Also, many homeowners are phasing out the formal living room and dining room, and creating one larger and open space to house the living, dining, and kitchen area as one.
10. Pet-friendly living: Our pooches and felines are a huge part of our lives. And we are designing homes to accommodate them. With pet-friendly living, designers are speccing furniture, flooring, accessories that will hold up to our "children". And homeowners are choosing boutique-like pet beds and accessories.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Design Perspective
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Melissa Ford
Mom has a lot to check off her list this Summer, and Kellogg's cereal can help her get it done. How will you make the most of your Summer? Check out our blog posts as we share with you inspirational ideas for celebrating the moments of magic that will happen during this activity-filled time of year! PLUS enter for a chance to win as $100 Walmart gift card! Read more