Kid-Friendly Fish Tacos
By JeanettesHealth on June 07, 2012
BlogHer Original Post
My kids love almost anything served taco style. I think they just like eating with their hands. I like tacos because they are easy to make and can provide a one-dish meal for a casual summer dinner, or for a busy night.
Now that grilling season is in full swing and the lazy days of summer are coming, these fish tacos will be making a more frequent appearance at our dinner table. My boys are not big cooked fish eaters. In fact, there is only one cooked fish dish that I've come up with in addition to these fish tacos that my boys will eatGrilled Salmon with Thai Coconut Curry Sauce.
Last month, I made another version of fish tacos and shared it on Facebook. You can find a picture of those fish tacos there. I remember being in a hurry to make dinner that night and just quickly sprinkled some chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and olive oil on top of fresh tilapia fillets. After a quick grilling, the boys enjoyed the fish served taco style, with fresh avocado, tomato, lettuce, cilantro, scallions and Wickedly good fish taco sauce (made with 0% Greek yogurt).
This most recent version of fish tacos that I made used a similar seasoning, except I added some Spanish smoked paprika and decided to serve some coleslaw on top. Vegetables always seem to go down easier for my boys when served in a fun style.
So, here are some tips for making kid-friendly fish tacos:
- Choose a firm white fish such as tilapia, catfish, barramundi, or orange roughy. Flounder would be too delicate.
- Come up with fun toppings such as tomatoes, avocado or guacamole, shredded lettuce, tomato salsa, fruit salsa, or coleslaw (recipe below).
- Serve with a tangy sauce like Wickedly Good Fish Taco Sauce or Chipotle Yogurt Sauce (recipe below).
- Put all the toppings out on the table in little bowls so the kids can help themselves.
- After heating tortillas up in a pan or on the gas burner, keep them warm and soft in a clean cloth towel.
- Eating tacos can be messy...that's ok. Let the kids use their fingers to pick up the extra little pieces that fall out.
Here are some more light grilling recipes that are all gluten-free:
- Grilled Thai Coconut Curry Chicken with Peanut Sauce
- Cha Cha Bowl (Mexican Chicken Rice Bowl)
- Grilled Chicken with Parsley Salad and Sun-dried Tomatoes
- Bombay Chile and Cilantro Chicken
- Pollo Asada and a Chicken Taco Recipe
- Thai Chicken Skewers
- Grilled Asparagus (simply toss asparagus spears with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and grill; this works great with zucchini, summer squash, eggplant)
Kid-Friendly Fish Tacos
These fish tacos are so easy to make and kid-friendly. It's a meal in one. Serves 4-6.
4 cups coleslaw mix (or shredded cabbage and carrots)
2 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 fillets firm white fish such as tilapia
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
salt, to taste
Chipotle Yogurt Sauce
1 chipotle pepper, seeds removed
1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons lowfat mayonnaise
dash of salt
Corn tortillas (about 12)
- Mix all Coleslaw ingredients together in a medium bowl. Cover and chill until time to serve.
- Drizzle olive oil on both sides of fish fillets, using your fingers to lightly cover all the pieces.
- Sprinkle chili powder, smoked paprika and a little salt on each piece.
- Grill on top of a lightly greased piece of foil until done (this keeps the fish from sticking to the grill). Flip the fish halfway through cooking, or just leave it alone and let it finish cooking without turning.
Chipotle Yogurt Sauce
- Finely mince chipotle pepper (without the seeds or else it will be way too spicy). Mix with yogurt, mayonnaise and a dash of salt.
- Lightly toast corn tortillas over gas flame or in a cast iron pan. Let everyone serve themselves by topping the corn tortilla with some Grilled Fish, Coleslaw and a drizzle of Chipotle Yogurt Sauce.
This post is part of the BlogHer Light & Fresh Summer Grilling series, which includes 100 percent editorial content presented by a participating sponsor. Our advertisers do not produce editorial content. This post is made possible by Michelob ULTRA Light Cider and BlogHer.
More Like This
Recent Posts by JeanettesHealth
Most Popular on BlogHer
Mom has a lot to check off her list this Summer, and Kellogg's cereal can help her get it done. How will you make the most of your Summer? Check out our blog posts as we share with you inspirational ideas for celebrating the moments of magic that will happen during this activity-filled time of year! PLUS enter for a chance to win as $100 Walmart gift card! Read more