Lazy Girl's Gluten Free Cream Soup
By lazyglutenfree on December 08, 2013
In my experience, pretty much all national brand cream soups have gluten, and the gluten-free ones are super expensive or hard to find. This is a recipe my mom found a couple years ago to use in place of any cream soup. It is very easy to put together and you can make it into just about any flavor you need (see below for suggestions). I have committed this recipe to memory since I use it pretty frequently and the base is only three ingredients.
For the purpose of this post, I am going to give you the basic Cream Soup recipe, but you can easily add whatever you like to suit your needs. The soup also works well as a substitute for gravy or a white sauce.
Gluten Free Cream Soup
You will need:
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I use King Arthur Gluten Free Multi-Purpose Flour)
1) Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
2) Add the milk and whisk together. Add the flour and mix well.
3) While continuing to whisk mixture, bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Continue to whisk until soup is thick and creamy.
4) Add desired flavorings and stir well. Remove from heat.
Yield: about 1 cup of cream soup.
You can add this to any recipe that calls for a cream soup! See below for additional variations:
- Cream of chicken soup: add 1 package of chicken flavor, like Meijer brand, which is gluten free.
- Cream of mushroom soup: add 1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms
- Cream of celery soup: add 1/2 cup sauteed celery
- Cheese sauce: add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese to the sauce when hot for mac and cheese, or to drizzle over veggies.
- Alfredo sauce: add 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese or a mix of other white cheeses, along with 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg to the sauce when hot.
- Gravy: use cream soup AS IS: over roasted turkey, chicken, beef, etc... OR add 1/3 cup pan drippings to cream soup when it's hot. Makes a very tasty gravy!!
More Like This
Recent Posts by lazyglutenfree
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Lori Luna
Sparkling ICE is a bold flavored sparkling water that truly delivers on taste and contains just the right amount of fizz. Read our bloggers' posts and get more details on how you can enter the Flavor Face Off plus find out more about the delicious flavors that Sparkling ICE has to offer. Read more
Most Popular on Gluten-Free
Recent Comments on Gluten-Free
By Kalyn Denny