Lemon Ginger Iced Tea
Summer is fast approaching and few things are as refreshing and thirst quenching as homemade lemon ginger tea. These days I make it every morning and keep it in the fridge for my in laws because when they come home from a walk they want to relax with a refreshing drink. Not only is it delicious and a great alternative to fizzy, calorie laden drinks or juices, it is really healthful.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 cups
- 4.5 cups water
- 1.5" piece of fresh ginger root, grated or pound
- 2 black tea bags (or green if you prefer)
- honey/ sugar/stevia or brown rice syrup to taste
- 7-8 lemon slices
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- Lay lemon slices flat on a baking sheet in the freezer, until solid.
- In a saucepan bring water and ginger to boil. Reduce heat to where it sustains a gentle boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tea bags and bring to boil on medium. Turn off the heat after 30-45 secs.
- Strain tea into a carafe/pitcher/kettle, discarding the solids.
- Stir in lemon juice and sweetener.
- Set aside to cool down to room temperature. Refrigerate until cold.
- Serve with frozen lemon wedges.