Lessons from the Ice Bucket Challenge
Life lessons can be found in the weirdest of activities. This is the case of the ice bucket challenge that has gone viral this summer. For those of you still in the dark, the challenge requires the nominated participants to pour a bucket of ice or oce water on their head within a 24 hours period after the nomination. If not accepted, then the nominee pledges to make a donation of 100.00 to a charity. Pretty cold, I mean, cool, right?
All across the country people are having fun, bonding, and working together for a cause. Let’s go back then. We are ALL having fun. We are ALL bonding. We are ALL working Together for a cause; to help others and make a difference.
The ice bucket is sending a loud message:
- Regardless of our beliefs or backgrounds, we are all able to join forces and make some positive changes.
- Rich or poor, our deeds have the potential to influence others.
- When determined, our creativity works as a powerful weapon to change what is not working or improve what is.
- We are not as isolated as we sometimes pretend to be. By empathy and compassion we are all motivated to help others.
- Our strength as a community flows from our emotions, not our power. We rise when we find subtle connections that remind us that we are human and we need each other to make this work.
I think we can all agree that after a few seconds of chilly goosebumps and up and down hops, the ice bucket challenge has turned into an expression of love and kindness.
Let’s accept the challenge then! Paulo Coehlo said that certain things in life have to be experienced and never explained. Love is such a thing. Let’s wake up to the awareness of all the good we can do together. What if all the Blog Her community accepts the challenge?