Weekend Treat: Light and Fluffy Baked Cinnamon Doughnuts
By familyeatstogether on August 10, 2013
Featured Member Post
We are not big sweet eaters but when I found a doughnut pan for baking doughnuts I thought it would be fun for a weekend treat not to mention it sounded fantastic with coffee for my husband and myself. I thought that if I were going to do this, I would want them to be light and fluffy and not dense or cake like. After a few tries I got it right and these doughnuts are truly dreamy. This recipe can be easily increased for more as needed. Wouldn’t these be great for your next bake sale?
Image: Courtesy of A Family That Eats Together
Yield: ½ dozen
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 13 minutes
- 1 cup pastry flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon good vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
For the cinnamon mixture
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a doughnut pan with cooking spray.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt into a large bowl or a stand mixer.
- Beat the buttermilk, egg, vanilla and butter into another bowl until they are well combined.
- Turn on the mixer to low and slowly add the buttermilk/egg mixture until it is well combined.
- The trick to making the doughnuts come out looking like doughnuts is to only fill the pan ½ way full.
- Bake for 13 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove them from the pan and let them cool on a cooling rack.
- To make the cinnamon mixture, thoroughly combine the sugars and the cinnamon in a bowl.
- When they are cool enough to touch but still warm, dip them in the melted butter and then into the cinnamon mixture to fully coat them.
- Serve warm.
A family that eats together... from foodie to kid-friendly in one dish
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
In case you haven't heard a Oklahoma teen boy bragged about raping someone and no one is doing anything about it
Most Popular on Food
Recent Comments on Food
By Kalyn Denny