It's time for a sweet for my Sweets and that includes y'all! Over the past few weeks I've had so many positive comments, likes, shares, pins and met some great new friends. You all have made me just giddy with happiness, so I thought we should celebrate with a sweet treat.
If you've been following A Southern Soul for a while, you know about my love for citrus-y desserts. I know that's probably not really a word but who cares - I love lemons, limes, oranges and so does the rest of my family. These Lime Bars are sweet, tart with a buttery graham cracker crust. I wish we could all sit down together, have one of these treats along with a big cup of coffee and share some stories about the things we love. Thank you friends, for reaching out and loving on me.
It's a pleasure to meet you and share about food, family and life...
1 sleeve graham crackers
3 tablespoons brown sugar - packed
1 teaspoon lime zest
4 tablespoons butter - melted
1 tablespoon grated lime zest - about 2 limes
3 ounces cream cheese - softened
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup fresh lime juice - about 5 limes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with tinfoil, letting two edges hang over for easy removal after baking.
- Lightly coat foil with cooking spray.
- To make crust - process graham crackers, sugar, zest and salt together to fine crumbs in a blender or food processor.
- Drizzle melted butter over crumbs and pulse to blend.
- Place mixture into prepared pan and press crumbs to make and even layered crust.
- Bake the crust until lightly browned, about 15-18 minutes.
- To make filling - in a medium bowl, stir cream cheese, lime zest and salt together until smooth - I use a spatula.
- Whisk in sweetened condensed milk, egg yolk and lime juice until combined.
- add one very small drop of green food coloring if you like to perk up the lime color.
- Pour filling over the crust making sure to smooth out to edges of pan.
- Bake bars until filling is set and edges just begin to pull away from sides of the pan about 15-17 minutes.
- Let bars cool completely in pan set on a wire rack - about an hour.
- Cover pan with foil and refrigerate until chilled.
- Remove bars from pan using the foil "handles" and cut into squares.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.