Valentine's Day Love Letter Challenge for Singles or Couples
Many single people hold a grudge against Valentine’s Day. They resent this holiday dedicated to couples and romantic love for various reasons -- perhaps they feel lonely or left out or looked down on, or maybe they’ve been hurt in the past. Although I’m a terminally single person, I’ve never harbored that resentment. In my childhood, St. Valentine’s Day was a family celebration. Every Valentine’s Day, at the end of dinner, there was a knock at the front door. When one of my brothers or I went to answer it, there was no one at the door, but a bundle of Valentine’s gifts was waiting on the porch mat, left by “St. Valentine.” It’s hard to resent a holiday that has so many good family memories attached to it.
I love romantic stories. I especially love kiss stories, and I post them on my own blog when I can get my hands on them. I love learning about relationships and how they work and what people do to sustain them and to show affection. And you know what? I’m not the only one. Lots of people love love stories, and what’s more, they might be able learn something valuable from your own love story.
Image: Peter Hellberg via Flickr
Maybe you’ve been hesitant in the past to post about your relationship. I can imagine lots of reasons for that -- perhaps your significant other knows about your blogging habits and reads your posts, so you avoid blogging about your relationship. Or maybe you want to keep that part of your life private, which is perfectly reasonable. But, maybe, just maybe, you’ve never had a good excuse to post about your feelings for your S.O.
What better time is there than now to declare your love?
In the spirit of the upcoming romantic holiday, and in the general spirit of my blog, Kiss Chronicles, I’m challenging you to post a love letter to your significant other!
I know some people would probably do this on their own without prompting. This challenge is especially meant for those people who wouldn’t think of it or would feel shy or hesitant about posting a love letter. Be bold; be brave. Do it! I’m rooting for you!
Here are some ideas in case you’d like a starter:
- Find the romance in something ordinary.
- Use the love letter to make your S.O. laugh.
- What makes you proud of your S.O.?
- Get possessive! Tell us why your S.O. is so wonderful but we just can’t have him/her.
- Make a wish or promise for the future.
- Or check out the Love & Sex prompts on NaBloPoMo this month.
ETA update: I should have thought of this sooner! Here are some added ideas JUST FOR SINGLES. If you're single, there's no reason you can't write a love letter for V-day to join in the fun, like so:
- Write a letter to a dear friend and say how much you care.
- Share the love with a family member! Whether immediate family or extended, let the person know how much he or she means to you.
- Write a love letter to your fellow singles of the Internet. (Hmm, I might have to try this one.)
- Write an ode to any thing you love...perhaps coffee is actually your one true love?
If you post a love letter, I welcome you to link to it in the comments here. Good luck and, in advance, happy Valentine’s Day to you and yours.
(Oh, and if you have a kiss story to share, I’m always in search of those to post on my own blog, http://kisschronicles.com. Mwah!)