(Low Fat!) Lemon Blueberry Scones
Did you all have a fantastic holiday weekend? Mine was amazing! It was beautiful and sunny and perfect weather for a fiesta! I made carnitas for the first time ever and I can't wait to show you guys how they turned out! But first, it's breakfast time :)
After our fiesta Sunday, we had a little sleepover at my house. What do you do when you wake up to a household of (potentially over-margarita'd) party goers? Make scones of course!
I love scones, but they get such a bad rap. Unhealthy, filled with fat and calories, tons of sugar, etc. While, sometimes that is true, it doesn't have to be that way! Especially when you make them yourself. These scones are loaded with fruit and the base is whole wheat flour. Instead of cream, I used Greek Yogurt and non-fat milk. These are scones you don't have to feel one bit guilty about scarfing up with your coffee!
These scones also come together in about 30 minutes start to finish. Perfect for a house full of hungry friends!
There is one trick I always use when making blueberry scones and muffins. Coat the blueberries in flour before incorporating them into the dough. This helps the blueberries distribute evenly and not sink down to the bottom. I don't know about you, but I want a blueberry in every bite!
Mix all the dry ingredients together and cut in the butter using a pastry cutter, fork, or food processor. Just don't just your hands! You want the butter to stay as cold as possible and your hands are just too H.O.T!
Mix in the blueberries and lemon zest. Then stir in the greek yogurt and milk. The dough will be pretty sticky-don't worry! Sticky dough = delicious scones :)
Turn the dough onto a floured surface and work it until it forms a disc about 7" across (don't stress about exact size here). Work the dough as little as possible - remember we want the butter to stay cold.
Slice into triangles. I got 10 out of my dough, but you could easily make bigger or smaller triangles depending on how many people you had stay at your house the night before ;)
Whip up one egg and brush each scone lightly with the egg wash. This makes for beautifully bronzed tops. It's like tanning oil for scones!
Bake for 15-20 minutes...then devour!
Even though these scones are low fat and low sugar AND whole grain, you are not sacrificing anything in flavor. They are airy, super fruity, a little zesty, and gone in a flash when you put them on a table with a few friends around. :)
|(Low Fat!) Lemon Blueberry Scones|
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- zest of one lemon
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup non fat milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Combine flours, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and whisk together.
- Slice butter and drop into dry ingredients.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter, fork, or use a food processor.
- Toss blueberries in one tablespoon flour. Stir to coat.
- Add blueberries and lemon zest and gently stir.
- Gently mix in milk and yogurt. Use your hands to work the dough into a ball, working quickly to avoid melting the butter.
- Form dough into a disc about 7" across. Cut into 6-10 triangles.
- Separate slices and place on a prepared baking sheet.
- Whisk egg. Brush tops of scones with egg wash.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until light brown.