Macaroni with Tofu and Spinach
By tasty2healthy on January 17, 2013
- Macaroni Pasta - 2 cups
- Spinach - 2 cups packed
- Tofu - 1 cup diced
- Garlic - 1tsp minced
- Italian seasoning - 1tsp
- Chilli Flakes - 1/2 tsp or according to taste
- Butter - 1 tbsp
- Black pepper(fresh ground) - 1/2 tsp
- Black salt - 1/4tsp
- Boil water, add salt. After adding salt, the water should taste like tears - just a tinge salty. Err on the side of caution and add less salt. You can always add it in the end.
- Add pasta and cook as per packet instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat pan with butter and olive oil.
- Add garlic and diced tofu.
- Fry for 2 minutes until tofu is just heated thru and add spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted.
- Strain pasta, rinse in cold water.
- Add pasta, Italian seasoning, chilli flakes, black salt, black pepper and mix everything.
- Heat thru and serve.
- Ka Kim Tofu has a slightly firm texture and is available locally in Bangalore.
- MTR Macaroni.
- Easy Life Italian Seasoning.
- Borges Olive Oil.
- Catch Black Salt.
PS: The brands are listed for helping the reader. It is not an endorsement of the product in any way.
- I like to use Black Salt when possible. We like the flavor of black salt especially with Tofu.
- Butter can be substituted with olive/sunflower oil without significant difference in taste. Peanut or gingelly oils have a strong flavor which might change the taste of the dish.
- Tofu can be replaced with Paneer.
- Italian Seasoning can be replaced with fresh coriander. Though I have not tried it. Oregano seasoning packets from Dominos or Pizza hut would work well too.
- Freshly cracked pepper makes a lot of difference to the dish.
Verdict: Quick one pot meal for kids and adults too. Protein from Tofu, Spinach for vegetables, Pasta for Carbs - all in one. Time taken - 10 minutes total if you prep the vegetables while pasta is getting cooked. When cooked with oil, the pasta is equally good when cold and can be packed lunch/snack.