Make Ahead Meals - Tortilla Stew
By Persnickety Mama on April 02, 2014
Makes 3 freezer containers with 4 servings each for a total of 12 servings
2 lbs chicken breast or thigh
2 x 18oz cans stewed tomatoes
9oz can of enchilada sauce
2 x 7.5 oz cans of green chile salsa or chiles
6 medium diced potatoes
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp teaspoon cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
2 cans chicken broth
1 cup fresh chopped cilantro
Tortilla chips for serving
salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken broth in pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat and poach chicken breasts.
- Remove chicken breast from broth and let cool. Do not throw out broth.
- Dice potatoes into 3/4" pieces, then add potatoes to broth and cook to fork tenderness.
- Drain potatoes, then place back in pot. Add tomatoes, chiles, cilantro, enchilada sauce & spices - combine.
- Shred chicken and add to the mixture.
- Place in your freezer dishes.
To re-heat, thaw in refrigerator overnight, then place in pre-heated 350F oven for 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Break up tortillas on each serving and you can add a dollop of sour cream if you like.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Persnickety Mama
Most Popular on BlogHer
Don Lemon Joins Whoopi Goldberg in Using Victim-Blaming Tactics to Defend Bill Cosby Against Rape Accusations
By Deb Rox