Makeup: Less is More
Every woman has their own style in both clothing and makeup. Some women tend to go to an extreme when it comes to makeup; they either go completely barefaced or they pile it on.
The New York Times reported the findings of a 2011 study. The study found women who wore makeup appeared more competent and trustworthy. However, the more makeup a woman wore, the less trustworthy a woman appeared. There was also a recent report on the Today Show that men actually prefer women with less makeup! With these kinds of statistics, no wonder women are confused!
Women, in my opinion, appear prettiest when they are naturally beautiful. That doesn't mean to go running around wearing tons of unnecessary makeup. I know I personally feel more polished and professional when I wear makeup. However, if I wear way too much makeup I feel really self conscious and when I wear no makeup I feel incredibly sloppy.
How does one approach this awkward topic of makeup while still feeling beautiful? It's easy! My grandmother used to tell me "less is more." Well, this is true. The best way to look naturally beautiful is to start with a beautiful canvas. That means personal grooming. This sounds elementary, but it bares repeating. Wash your face and moisturize it. Take good care of your skin. Use a nice exfoliator and mask. Plus, you get the added benefit of a super awesome spa day!
How do you look naturally beautiful? Really, you don't need a whole lot to look natural. This is all you have to do:
- Groom your brows. Don't over pluck! Just groom them.
- Use an eyelash curler to make you look more awake.
- Use mascara.
- Do you have a few spots on your face? Are you ruddy? Use some concealer and a tinted moisturizer to even out your skin tone. With all of the BB and CC creams on the market, there are plenty of great options.
- Don't forget a pink blush. It makes you look healthy!
- Clear or lightly tinted lipgloss on the lips. Definitely completes the look.
See? Simple! If you want to do more and you feel a little naked with that little makeup on, you can add these steps:
- A neutral eyeshadow from the lash line to the crease of the eye.
- A shimmery nude eyeshadow (I like Urban Decay Sin) on the inner corner of the eyes.
- A gel eyeliner in brown or gray.
It saves a ton of time in the mornings if you follow these steps. You look super confident because you feel super confident; and people want to see the real you! Plus, who doesn't like putting her best face forward?