Million Mile Month; One State's Health Challenge
By FreeRangeChick on February 17, 2014
There are two things, like most Americans, that really pull at my heart strings. Kids and animals. Put either of those in a distressed or life threatening situation, and out comes my super hero cape, because I would do just about anything to help. ANYTHING! We hear day in and day out that sitting is killing us, our diets aren't healthy enough, no one is getting enough exercise (not even teenage athletes), the number youths that are obese and overweight is growing each day, and that the youngest generation is the first generation EVER that has a shorter life expectancy than their parents. Terrifying, stomach turning, and disgusting.
The problem is, I hear all these negative things and it just gets me down. Everyone talks about the problem, but it doesn't seem like there is much conversation going on about solutions. This is why when this new fitness initiative, Million Mile Month, came across my email, I was intrigued. Unfortunately for those of you outside of Texas, you may have to wait another year before you can participate, but for those of us in the Lone Star state, we can, and should, get registered and start making changes to our lives right now.
Why do I like Million Mile Month? Oh for so many reasons.
- I like that we as a community are working towards one big humongous goal, and along the way we can cheer each other on, pat each other on the back, and we can all get healthier together.
- This isn't a one day event, and I don't have to work around anyone else's schedule. I get to work-out when I want, where I want, and just log my miles on millionmilemonth.org.
- Your WHOLE family can participate. You, your husband, the kids, pets, grandparents, friends, neighbors, co-workers. Because there is flexibility in where/when you exercise and a wide range of acceptable exercise activities (walking, running, biking, swimming, just to name a few) there is something to fit into everyone's lifestyle.
- You can win prizes, just for logging miles. Umm... who DOESN'T like prizes?
- I love that when we get out and get active we are setting a good example for our younger generation, while getting healthier ourselves.
- All proceeds from registration go to programs at the non-profit, Cyberways and Waterways, who is dedicated to childhood health and wellness.
I have already registered for the event at http://millionmilemonth.org/register/, and if you are in Texas, I think you should join me. 1,000,000 miles is an awful lot, but together we can do it!
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Mom has a lot to check off her list this Summer, and Kellogg's cereal can help her get it done. How will you make the most of your Summer? Check out our blog posts as we share with you inspirational ideas for celebrating the moments of magic that will happen during this activity-filled time of year! PLUS enter for a chance to win as $100 Walmart gift card! Read more