Million Mile Month; One State's Health Challenge
There are two things, like most Americans, that really pull at my heart strings. Kids and animals. Put either of those in a distressed or life threatening situation, and out comes my super hero cape, because I would do just about anything to help. ANYTHING! We hear day in and day out that sitting is killing us, our diets aren't healthy enough, no one is getting enough exercise (not even teenage athletes), the number youths that are obese and overweight is growing each day, and that the youngest generation is the first generation EVER that has a shorter life expectancy than their parents. Terrifying, stomach turning, and disgusting.
- I like that we as a community are working towards one big humongous goal, and along the way we can cheer each other on, pat each other on the back, and we can all get healthier together.
- This isn't a one day event, and I don't have to work around anyone else's schedule. I get to work-out when I want, where I want, and just log my miles on millionmilemonth.org.
- Your WHOLE family can participate. You, your husband, the kids, pets, grandparents, friends, neighbors, co-workers. Because there is flexibility in where/when you exercise and a wide range of acceptable exercise activities (walking, running, biking, swimming, just to name a few) there is something to fit into everyone's lifestyle.
- You can win prizes, just for logging miles. Umm... who DOESN'T like prizes?
- I love that when we get out and get active we are setting a good example for our younger generation, while getting healthier ourselves.
- All proceeds from registration go to programs at the non-profit, Cyberways and Waterways, who is dedicated to childhood health and wellness.