A Stack of Breakfast: Happy (Healthy) Pancake Week!
By Julie Ross Godar on March 06, 2011
BlogHer Original Post
While IHOP may have declared March 1 National Pancake Day and offered free pancakes for charity and all, Pancake Day is traditionally a moveable feast, taking place on Shrove Tuesday, aka Mardi Gras. And Pancake Week begins the Sunday before Shrove Tuesday. That is, today!
Kalyn touched on the origin of Pancake Day in her Mardi Gras foods post: "Shrove Tuesday is the official name of the day before Ash Wednesday, but many people call it Pancake Day, and pancakes eaten on this day are often more like desserts, a final bit of decadent eating before Lent begins." Kalyn found a couple of really decadent pancake recipes that got me fired up -- and inspired to see what's out there that's decadent ... and maybe a little healthy, too.
- BlogHer member rosemarried whipped up some awesomely pink beet and quinoa pancakes.
- BlogHer member Caitlin, aka A Bicycle Built for Two made healthy oatmeal pancakes out of oat flour she blended herself.
- How much fun is it to say the name of these coconut maple cream cashew chai pancakes from Healthy Happy Life? They're vegan, too.
- Mele Cotte griddled up some cakes made from protein-rich spelt flour.
- Julie at A Mingling of Tastes upped the protein stakes even further with banana-pecan pancakes pumped up with oats and cottage cheese.
- And now for something completely different: Savory broccoli rabe pancakes from Stephen Cooks -- I'm definitely thinking about making these soon!
But today, I took inspiration from Matt from Wrightfood, and his recipe for gluten-free buckwheat pancakes. As he says:
Buckwheat has this lovely rich brown color, and a very distinctive nutty flavor all to its own. Even though the name might be misleading, it isn’t a wheat and is gluten free (watch out however for cross contamination in fields and processing if you are highly sensitive to gluten).
I love the nutty taste of buckwheat, which can go sweet or savory depending on your mood (very important to sweet-sensitive me). And I love that Matt whipped the egg whites to make these pancakes fluffy. I tried it this morning -- it was easy, and fluffy! The hardest part is having buckwheat flour on hand.
What are your favorite kinds of pancakes? Are you celebrating Pancake Day this week?
More Like This
Recent Posts by Julie Ross Godar
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Melissa Ford
Most Popular on Food
Green & Black's Organic Chocolate Reviews & Sweepstakes
We placed Green & Black’s Organic Chocolate to the test! Check out these delicious chocolate recipes and recreate them using exceptional, fairtrade ingredients. Plus get a chance to win $100 cash equivalent and a chocolate prize pack.