Happy International Waffle Day!
By Julie Ross Godar on March 25, 2011
BlogHer Original Post
Happy Waffle Day! Wait … I mean, happy Vaffledagen, or International Waffle Day! Yes, there are two Waffle Days each year: U.S. Waffle Day is August 24, and International Waffle Day is today.
Why the schism? According to a post on Mr. Breakfast called The Waffle Day Controversy, International Waffle Day is a long-held Swedish tradition celebrating both the announcement of Jesus' birth and the first day of Spring, while U.S. Waffle Day is a marketing holiday celebrating the anniversary of the first application for a waffle iron patent. I see nothing wrong with celebrating both -- come on, they're waffles.
Image by dvortygirl via Flickr
Waffle Information, Tributes and Odes
- TW asks, Are Waffles the New Bacon?
- applec sings a ditty about waffles to the tune of "Manic Monday".
- kathrynw uses waffles and spaghetti as a relationship metaphor!
- whole-grain spelt waffles.
- At Fat Free Vegan there's a lovely-looking recipe for gluten-free pumpkin waffles.
- jmneiderer made gluten-free cinnamon-ginger waffles with a vanilla-peach-honey topping.
- krimkus whipped up some light and fluffy whole-wheat waffles.
- The Veggie Gal tops her oatmeal waffles with bananas and raw sugar.
- Could there be a better username for a recipe for chicken and waffles than cornbread-and-molasses? These sound amazing.
- I can't stop thinking about these herbed waffles topped with smoked salmon by expatchef.
- Lauren at Lauren's Latest gets a salty-sweet combo by topping her cheddar-scallion waffles with syrup.
- Leite's Culinaria has an inventive recipe for savory Thai waffles with dipping sauce.
- I want the iron that makes those heart-shaped orange-pecan waffles over at Salad in a Jar.
- miavitadolce hits all the right sweet notes with chocolate-chip Belgian waffles.
- Adam at Amateur Gourmet made classic "crisp and airy" raised (yeast) waffles from Marion Cunningham's recipe.
- Jamie from My Baking Addiction made maple chip waffles -- maple syrup over maple chips? Wow.
- Julie at A Mingling of Tastes sour cream waffles with cardamom and rose petals for flavors that make me think of Turkish delight or Indian rice pudding.
- I know I'd love the Naptime Chef's chocolate malt waffles -- mmmm, malty chocolate.
- And Nicole from Baking Bites has a tutorial on legging go your Eggo and making your own frozen waffles.
What are your favorite waffles -- Belgian, buttermilk, chicken and? I want to know!
More Like This
Recent Posts by Julie Ross Godar
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Genie Gratto
Children have unique nutritional needs that set the stage for their health later in life. Understanding essential nutrients, and ensuring that your kids are getting enough of them, will help support optimal health now and in the future. Read our blogger's post and see how you can add essential nutrients to your children's diet. Read more
Most Popular on Food
Recent Comments on Food
By Karen Ballum