Happy International Waffle Day!
By Julie Ross Godar on March 25, 2011
BlogHer Original Post
Happy Waffle Day! Wait … I mean, happy Vaffledagen, or International Waffle Day! Yes, there are two Waffle Days each year: U.S. Waffle Day is August 24, and International Waffle Day is today.
Why the schism? According to a post on Mr. Breakfast called The Waffle Day Controversy, International Waffle Day is a long-held Swedish tradition celebrating both the announcement of Jesus' birth and the first day of Spring, while U.S. Waffle Day is a marketing holiday celebrating the anniversary of the first application for a waffle iron patent. I see nothing wrong with celebrating both -- come on, they're waffles.
Image by dvortygirl via Flickr
Waffle Information, Tributes and Odes
- TW asks, Are Waffles the New Bacon?
- applec sings a ditty about waffles to the tune of "Manic Monday".
- kathrynw uses waffles and spaghetti as a relationship metaphor!
- whole-grain spelt waffles.
- At Fat Free Vegan there's a lovely-looking recipe for gluten-free pumpkin waffles.
- jmneiderer made gluten-free cinnamon-ginger waffles with a vanilla-peach-honey topping.
- krimkus whipped up some light and fluffy whole-wheat waffles.
- The Veggie Gal tops her oatmeal waffles with bananas and raw sugar.
- Could there be a better username for a recipe for chicken and waffles than cornbread-and-molasses? These sound amazing.
- I can't stop thinking about these herbed waffles topped with smoked salmon by expatchef.
- Lauren at Lauren's Latest gets a salty-sweet combo by topping her cheddar-scallion waffles with syrup.
- Leite's Culinaria has an inventive recipe for savory Thai waffles with dipping sauce.
- I want the iron that makes those heart-shaped orange-pecan waffles over at Salad in a Jar.
- miavitadolce hits all the right sweet notes with chocolate-chip Belgian waffles.
- Adam at Amateur Gourmet made classic "crisp and airy" raised (yeast) waffles from Marion Cunningham's recipe.
- Jamie from My Baking Addiction made maple chip waffles -- maple syrup over maple chips? Wow.
- Julie at A Mingling of Tastes sour cream waffles with cardamom and rose petals for flavors that make me think of Turkish delight or Indian rice pudding.
- I know I'd love the Naptime Chef's chocolate malt waffles -- mmmm, malty chocolate.
- And Nicole from Baking Bites has a tutorial on legging go your Eggo and making your own frozen waffles.
What are your favorite waffles -- Belgian, buttermilk, chicken and? I want to know!
More Like This
Recent Posts by Julie Ross Godar
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Lori Luna