Have You Made Homemade Granola? What About Savory Granola?
By Julie Ross Godar on March 11, 2011
BlogHer Original Post
It's not normal for me to like granola for breakfast. It's sweet. It's oaty. It's a lot like … cereal. But I'm supposed to be trying new things this month, and I actually like granola as a snack, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. (And while breakfast burritos have magical powers, those powers do not extend to the light and healthy.)
If I'm going to try it, I'm going to try it right -- and make my own this weekend, with inspiration from some BlogHers making their own granola:
- Last year BlogHer member RosieGirl shared a Favorite Addictive Homemade Granola Recipe
- Member alittlebiteoflife dreamed up a pumpkin latte granola that sounds like you could pour premium coffee on it and have a complete breakfast.
- Contributing Editor Kalyn Denny went out into the blogosphere to ask the question, "Why Not Try Making Granola? She got a lot of appetizing-looking answers.
- And member sarahlipoff spikes her homemade crunchy granola with cinnamon (and stores it in a cute jar).
Sounds fabulous and healthy to boot. But it's still sweet … so I finally broke down and searched for savory granola. It felt off to even type the phrase, and I was pretty sure Google would return a result like "stop obsessing about savory breakfast, weirdo." But … I'm not alone! Check this out:
- Erin at Yoga.Food.Art concocted savory granola with nuts, flax seeds, cardamom, Bragg's amino acids and tahini. Hmmm.
- On the Chowhound.com boards, hounds discussed binders for savory granola and thought egg whites or olive oil might work. They also talked about flavorings that made my mouth water: curry, chili, shallot, porcini powder, freeze-dried veggies.
- Chef Daniel Humm created a recipe for Provencal granola, with basil, garlic and a little bit of honey, for Saveur.
I'm thinking of making some of this and sprinkling it over leftover veggies or savory grits or maybe plain yogurt for breakfast. (I'd also totally sprinkle it on a salad.) I'll let you know how it goes!
What's your favorite granola -- and your favorite way to eat it?
More Like This
Recent Posts by Julie Ross Godar
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Lisa Stone
Most Popular on Vegetarian and Vegan
Recent Comments on Vegetarian and Vegan
By Kalyn Denny
By Kalyn Denny