15 Easy Weight Loss Tricks
By PaulasHealthyLiving on February 11, 2013
BlogHer Original Post
Here are a few of my favorite weight loss tips. These helpful steps are effective and easy to incorporate into your life.
- Pack your lunch versus eating in a restaurant or on the fly for lunch. You could save 600-1500 calories controlling the salt, fats, and condiments in your food.
- Drink 8 oz. of water 20 minutes;before;any meal. It helps hydrate your system and fills your stomach.
- If you crave something crunchy, make crispy Kale chips, homemade popcorn or pea pods rather than potato chips.
- Perform weight training 2-5 days per week to manage weight, boost metabolism and elevate bone density.
- Eat 5-6 small meals (includes snacks) per day to keep your metabolism up.
- Use a pedometer to monitor your daily steps. Aim to add 1000 steps per day. You’ll find yourself taking the stairs and parking a farther distance in a parking lot.
- Allow for a ‘cheat’ meal or dessert within your weekly food plan to stop the urge to ‘binge for a weekend’.
- Work out with friends to blend workout and social times. A brisk walk, a Zumba class or bike riding are better than a 300 calorie designer coffee drink and pound cake for your waistline and your heart!
- Shrink your dinner plates. Using a large salad plate versus a large dinner plate will make it;seem;like you’re eating more. The same is true for using smaller forks and spoons. It takes longer to eat a bowl of cereal with a smaller spoon, allowing your stomach an opportunity to feel full. It takes 20 minutes to feel full from food that you’ve eaten.
- Use salt-free flavorings and spices, as well as flavored vinegars to reduce the use of butter and creamy sauces to give dishes flavor.
- Let vegetables cover ½ of your dinner plate. It can be more than 1 type including sliced tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini, kale…
- Eat roasted, no-salt almonds or walnuts (in moderation) instead of candy as a snack. Because they provide heart-healthy oils, and protein, they leave you feeling satiated. Candy leaves you with a belly-bulge, and a sugar drop-off later.
- Don’t eat in front of the TV. It leads to ‘mindless eating’ and over indulging because your mind is attentive to the TV. and not the speed or quantity that you are eating. Rather, try to create an ‘atmosphere’ for dinner.
- Use;food/exercise diary.It is a;highly effective;reminder of where calories are wasted on candy, drinks, and eating off kid’s plates. It helps you identify how many calories and salt are in restaurant and pre-packaged foods. It is for your-eyes- only, so honesty is the most effective way to utilize this tool.
- Switch to low-fat dairy. Milk, yogurt, feta, cheddar, cream cheese and Greek yogurt have no taste difference in low-fat versions.