My Thanksgiving Morning Breakfast
Well, I have to admit, I have treated myself with this simple recipe a couple of times already. The first time was experimental. Then the next time was for blog photos. Then, the next time and the next time...well, those were because I love this fall smoothie in the morning.
I love some of the traditional Thanksgiving dishes too. But I can honestly say that I have found ways to enjoy, adore and savor my food choices without sacrificing good nutrition. The real thing is worth it on occasion, sure. But since I love eating, I cannot settle for indulging my palate on only rare occasions. I will not compromise taste!
So, this year I decided to find a simple way to experience a little Thanksgiving tradition as I open my eyes on the holiday’s morning. It had to be easy and fast since the day will be filled with meal preparations. And ultimately I wanted it to be super satisfying to my health, taste buds and cravings that would invade later in the day!
So, here is what I will be making for the girls and I Thanksgiving morning:
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
This is the perfect fall smoothie! Too much pie can go to your hips but you don’t need to deny yourself with this scrumptious treat! It is creamy, light and nourishing.
- 1 cup non-dairy milk – I have used both unsweetened almond and coconut milk
- ½ cup canned pumpkin—I like to freeze some pumpkin in ice cube trays for this recipe
- ½ banana—again, I like to freeze some over ripe bananas and use that
- ½ - 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- ½ ts p pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger
- pinch each of ground nutmeg, cloves and ginger
- 2 tsp milled flax seed
- Place everything in the blender. (we have a Magic Bullet donated by my sister who never uses it....it works great!)
- Blend until smooth
- Pour into your favorite glass
- Sprinkle with cinnamon if you’d like!
Enjoy! No really, if you are a pumpkin lover…..enjoy! I think that I will have this Thanksgiving morning to stave off cravings and temptations for something less nutritious and, well, in some cases, less tasty.
If you are not quite satisfied with a smoothie, this alongside a pear or thin slice of whole grain bread spread with a couple teaspoons of natural peanut butter will fill you.
I would LOVE to hear what you think of this smoothie.
(oh and I am sure that Peggy will be giving you her two cents on getting a little physical activity into the Thanksgiving Day agenda…ah hemmmm…)
Tastefully Satisfied....as always!