DAY 30 THOUGHTS:
So… that’s it. It’s finally over. Well, for now at least! Keeping up with this Whole30 Diary has been almost as much work as keeping up with the program itself and, looking back, I actually can’t believe that I went to the trouble of cataloging all of my meals for 30 days. I’m crossing my fingers that it helped at least one or two people with their own Whole30 meal planning and didn’t just annoy the heck out of my subscribers! I’m looking forward to getting back to the usual rhythm of food and running posts — but, if you’re still working your way through Whole30, don’t worry! I’m in the process of putting together a bunch of new recipes to share with you all soon.
I’m starting this Whole30 thing back up on Monday (nut-free this time!) and it’s going to be so much bigger and better than this silly old practice round. The first time around, my goals (and the grades I’m now giving myself on account of them) were as follows:
- To develop for myself what I hope will one day be a more intuitive way of eating. Grade: C. I’ve had a taste of this, but I haven’t been able to really put it into practice yet. This will be the biggest point of focus for my second round of Whole30.
- To eat when I’m hungry, and then to not eat when I’m not hungry. Grade: B. I’ve gotten better at this, even though it feels like this last week I’ve undone a lot of the work I’ve accomplished. I feel like there’s hope here, though, if I really commit myself to it.
- To find the best possible nutritional formula to increase my athletic performance and capacity. Grade: B. This month, I’ve done a lot of reading about nutrition and exercise, and I feel like I’m really starting to put what I’ve learned into practice, especially in terms of recovery food. I think I could do much better, though, when it comes to fueling up for a run and fueling during a run.
- To build on and improve my cooking skills — especially when it comes to meat! Grade: A. I’m really pleased with my meat-related accomplishments this month. In September, though, I’m hoping for an A+.
- To take care of those extra few pounds of ice cream weight I “collected” while on vacation. Grade: C. Admittedly (and I’m sure you noticed if you were following along with my meal diary), cutting back and losing weight weren’t a big focus for me this month. I did manage to lose just a couple of pounds, but as I move closer into race season, I would really like to get back to my previous weight. I’m going to focus on this a bit more in September.
For all the rest of you who have just finished Whole30, congrats! That was really hard, wasn’t it? I’d love to hear how the rest of you folks are planning to tacking post-Whole30 things.
DAY 30 EATS:
Breakfast: Broccoli, sauerkraut, scrambled eggs, and a peach.
Lunch: Cinnamon-ginger pumpkin with shredded coconut, sardine salad, a hard-boiled egg, and an apple.
Snack: More cashew butter than I’m proud of. Oh, some almonds too…
Dinner: Beef burger over Brussels sprouts with 30-Second Homemade Mayo (recipe here) and scallions.
- Read more about the Whole30 guidelines and my goals for the program here.
- Follow my Whole30 board on Pinterest here.
- For more pictures, check out my Instagram page here.