National Margarita Day: Cinco Ways to Celebrate
By SwissArmyWife-Laura on February 22, 2012
Olé! Here in Dallas Texas USA the temperatures will approach the 80s this afternoon AND it’s National Margarita Day. Golly. If you don’t know what that means, let me give you a tip: P-A-T-I-O!
In honor of this most auspicious occasion, yours truly offers up FIVE ways to celebrate locally. You’re welcome.
1) Head over to Ozona Bar & Grill on Greenville Avenue. The margaritas are not fantastic, though good enough on a day like this, but the patio is one of my favorites in this fair burg. I’d also venture to say they have one of the best chicken fried steaks in Dallas. Yesssssssssssss.
2) Dine and drink at Mariano’s Hacienda on Skillman. Adequate patio, yummy comida, and delish margaritas. Mariano’s claim to fame is the owner, Mario Martinez, invented the frozen margarita machine. Now THAT is something worth celebrating, no?
3) Mi Cocina. Say it with me: Mambo Taxi. Say it twice to a bartender or waiter, then call a taxi. They’re strong AND good, which is not always the case.
4) Not feeling adventuresome and/or counting calories, but want to properly celebrate this, um, holiday? Pick up a bottle of Skinnygirl Margarita at your local liquor store (it’s the real deal not a mix, so you won’t find it at the grocery store in Dallas). If you haven’t tried this yet, you DO NOT know what you’re missing. It’s all pre-mixed and de-lish poured over a coupla ice cubes. (Also? I heart Bethenney Frankel, inventor of the Skinnygirl Margarita. I want to braid her hair and trade friendship bracelets. Seriously. If you don't know who she is, I don't know if we can be friends anymore. *Sigh.* If you do, are you watching the new season of "Bethenney Ever After"? I've DVR'd the first episode of season three ... I'm DYING to watch it. That is all.)
5) Make a run to the liquor store, concoct your own "Perfect Margarita," and then set up camp on your patio/balcony/kitchen floor. My college bestie, Canned Ham Pam (hi! miss ya! love ya!) and I picked up this postcard at the original Margaritaville in
HEAVEN Key West almost 19 years ago. I venture to guess this postcard recipe is hard to come by now, since ol’ Jimmy SOLD-OUT went all corporate on us and started hawking his own hooch. DO NOT forget to toss the salt over your shoulder! Enjoy!
How will you celebrate the day?
Please visit Laura & Kelly at Swiss Army Wives!
More Like This
Recent Posts by SwissArmyWife-Laura
Most Popular on BlogHer
Mom has a lot to check off her list this Summer, and Kellogg's cereal can help her get it done. How will you make the most of your Summer? Check out our blog posts as we share with you inspirational ideas for celebrating the moments of magic that will happen during this activity-filled time of year! PLUS enter for a chance to win as $100 Walmart gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Drinks
Recent Comments on Drinks