The New Chicken LE Cordon Bleu
National Chicken Month may passed right by you, but you shouldn’t miss this excellent recipe devised for the occasion by Seattle Chef Jerry Traunfeld, who won the national chicken council’s cooking contest. Traunfeld, chef at the herb-farm, probably knows more about cooking with herbs than anyone else in America. Here he’s tweaked the Classic Cordon Bleu recipe by trucking nutty Gruyere and smoky ham inside pounded chicken breast, then coating them generously in zesty fresh herbs.
You can make this elegant chicken from start to finish in about 15 minutes. Better yet, you can have it all ready to cook the day before, then just sauté it at the last minute. If you have a mini-food processor, you can speed things up even more by chopping the herbs in it.
Ingredients for the New Chicken LE Cordon Bleu
For the chicken and Stuffing
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 ½ pounds) Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 thin slices (2×4 inches) “real” black forest or Westphalian ham or other smoky dry-cured ham (or use prosciutto)
- 4 thin slices (2×4 inches) Gruyere cheese
For the herbs Crust
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley rosemary
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley sage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Procedure on how to prepare chicken and stuffing