Parmesan Mashed Potato Patties
By Joanie @ Zagleft on July 31, 2013
What do you do when you have leftover mashed potatoes? What about using them to make these mouthwatering Parmesan Mashed Potato Patties…
A few weeks ago, my son Patrick had his wisdom teeth removed. A few days before his surgery, I went to the store to make sure I had lots of soft foods for him to eat. I stocked up on puddings, jello, fruits to make smoothies with and instant mashed potatoes. I was also leaving him in the hands of his very capable older brother and sister and my husband. I had to go out of town kind of unexpectedly on the day of his surgery. I know…a total mom fail.
When I returned home a few days later, Patrick had fully recovered and was back to enjoying his summer vacation. I was left with an entire box of instant potatoes while all the pudding and jello had disappeared. Not a total surprise there.
I wanted to make something a little more interesting than mashed potatoes, so I made these Parmesan Mashed Potato Patties instead. Now, let me start by saying that this recipe is perfect when you have leftover mashed potatoes, either made from scratch or from a box. In this case, I just decided to make mashed potatoes specifically for this recipe.
First start out with cool mashed potatoes, which yours will already be if they’re leftovers. Add shredded parmesan cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, an egg, parsley, garlic powder and a little panko bread crumbs.
Using your hands, form the mashed potatoes into patties and place them in a little hot oil in a pan. Cook a couple of minutes per side, just until they start to become a golden brown.
In my opinion, this is the best way to eat mashed potatoes…leftover or not. I love the warm, crisp outside and the flavorful, creamy inside and the mild saltiness from the cheese gives these mashed potato patties a wonderful taste.
Other recipes you might like…
- 4 cups mashed potatoes, cooled
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Mix all of the ingredients except the oil together. Using your hands, form into 1/2-inch patties and flatten with your palms.
- Heat the oil in a large saute' pan over medium heat.
- Gently place the patties into the pan and lightly flatten with a flat spatula. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan.
- Cook until golden brown for about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove from the pan. Serve immediately.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Joanie @ Zagleft
Most Popular on BlogHer