Pea and Potato Stew - Recipe No 132
By CarolynEkinsUK on June 03, 2014
The cupboards were bare this morning. I need to go grocery shopping this evening but as I have an appointment this afternoon in the city it was a case of whipping up something for lunch that was quick, nutritious, tasty and above all, using what little ingredients I had left in the fridge.
I created a Pea and Potato Stew using food that the 1940s larder would have had available
I’ve already eaten it all up and it was indeed delightfully robust, yummy tummy moreish and working it out cost me less than £1 to make- way less!
Pea and Potato Stew
- 2 handfuls of peas in edible pods (mine were on the turn)
- 1 large potato skin on
- 1 celery stick (again on the turn)
- 1 leek (or 1 onion)
- Couple handful of soft, on the turn tomatoes (or a can of tomatoes)
- Any leafy veg that needs using up- I used a small handful of lettuce leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Thyme to your own taste
- Clove of garlic
- Chop leeks or onion, cube potato into small pieces (about 1 cm in size) and chop garlic and saute these in a little margarine or butter until they smell delicious
- Add in the chopped celery stick, the while peas in pods and any other leafy veg that needs using up and continue to saute for a few more minutes
- Add in the soft tomatoes or can of tomatoes, thyme, salt and pepper and stir and taste and adjust seasoning
- Add some veg stock if too dry or some thickener such as a little Bisto gravy browning if too wet.
- Cook until potato pieces are tender (20 minutes ish)
Serves two with a chunk of crusty bread or 1 hungry person
Total cost: Less than £1
Wartime and Vintage Cooking Gal trying to lose another 100 lbs on WW2 rations www.1940sexperiment.com
More Like This
Recent Posts by CarolynEkinsUK
Most Popular on BlogHer
Mom has a lot to check off her list this Summer, and Kellogg's cereal can help her get it done. How will you make the most of your Summer? Check out our blog posts as we share with you inspirational ideas for celebrating the moments of magic that will happen during this activity-filled time of year! PLUS enter for a chance to win as $100 Walmart gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Recipes
Crunchy on the outside ~ moist on the inside ~ top with anything you like. My new favorite chicken recipe!