Perfectly Cooked Slow Cooker Brown Rice
See the original post at Pursuit of Healthy Happiness!
Brown rice. We all know that it’s healthier for us than traditional white rice. But I’ll be the first to admit that making the switch was kinda tough. The texture of brown rice is a bit different and cooking it correctly is a whole other ball game.
When I first started switching to brown rice I tried cooking it on the stove top. I must have tried 10 or so different recipes and methods but somehow I always ended up burning it or having it not cook at all.
Then I had an ah-ha moment. I had heard of people cooking dried beans in their slow cooker because it took less time and it actually cooks the beans properly. So I thought, why not rice? Turns out, it works like magic.
Now, I make a big pot at the beginning of the week so I have already-cooked brown rice on hand for each of my meals.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Add butter, rice, and water to your slow cooker.
- Turn cooker to 'High'. Let cook for 2-3 hours.
- That's it!
- 1 cup of uncooked rice usually yields 3 cups cooked rice.
- Try substituting a bit of your favorite stock for the water. It adds a wonderful flavor.
- If cooking more or less than one cup, use a 1 to 2.5-rice to water ratio.
The first time you do this I would recommend watching over it rather closely. Depending on the brand and specific type of rice you use it may need to cook for less or more time. Also you may need to add a bit more water to fully cook the rice.
If you don’t want to add the butter or other type of fat to keep the rice from sticking to the bottom all you have to do is stir occasionally and you should be good.
Now that you have perfectly cooked brown rice it’s time to get creative in the kitchen. Looking for some cooking inspiration? Try out some of these muy delicioso recipes from a couple of my favorite bloggers.
- Chunky Lime Brown Rice from Fit Foodie Finds
- BBQ Black Bean & Brown Rice Burgers from Nutritionella
- Brown Rice Breakfast Bowl from Eating Bird Food
Happy cooking, friends!
Have you made the switch to brown rice? What did you struggle with?
What are your favorite brown rice recipes?
What foods do you find difficult to cook properly?
What other ways do you use your slow cooker?