How to Perfectly Sear Scallops
By ToptoBottom on March 20, 2014
Featured Member Post
Have you always wanted to sear a scallop like they do in fancy restaurants? Well, look no further, because we have a step-by-step guide that will show you how to properly sear a scallop. The art of the scallop is in the pan. We used a cast-iron skillet to achieve the perfect sear.
1. It is very important to make sure that your scallops are dry before you place them in the pan. Use a paper towel and pat the scallops gently.
2. Heat olive oil in a cast-iron skillet or ovensafe pan over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper right before placing them into the pan. Do not let salt sit on the scallop too long before cooking. Place the scallops to the pan.
3. Allow the scallops to sear in the pan without shaking or touching the scallops. If the initial bond between the scallop and the pan is broken within the first minute, they will not caramelize well. Look for a browned crust to form on the very bottom of the scallops, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the pan to a 500°F oven and cook until the scallops are no longer translucent, another 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Pull the pan out of the oven with an oven mitt. Place the pan back on the burner and add a tablespoon of butter, thyme and crushed fresh garlic. Spoon the melted butter over the top of the scallops to finish cooking.
5. Pat the scallops with a paper towel when you remove them from the pan and serve caramelized side up.
We hope you give these a try. Never be fearful of the perfect sear again!~ T2B
Write a review
- 1 Ib fresh scallops
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Pat scallops dry.
- Add oil to pan and heat over medium heat.
- Add the scallops and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Check for caramelizing on the bottom.
- Put ovensafe pan in a 500° oven for 2 to 3 minutes (until the scallops are no longer translucent).
- Pull out pan with oven mitt and place back on the burner.
- Add the butter, thyme and garlic to the pan. Spoon the mixture over the scallops to finish cooking.
- Pat off extra butter and serve caramelized side up.
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Save time, money and space with the FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System! AND it keeps food fresh up to 5x longer! Read our bloggers' experiences with the FoodSaver® System and see why you should get one for your home. Plus get a chance to win $100 Visa gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Food
Success Rice Farms Reviews & Giveaways
Success® Rice is the ORIGINAL no mess, no measure boil-in-bag rice that cooks perfectly every time and is ready in 10 minutes. Read our bloggers' posts and see how they make hearty meals by adding Success® Rice into their favorite recipes plus get a chance to win $100.