Petite Cherry Hand-Pies for Valentine's Day
By Mommahen on February 03, 2014
Vanlentine’s Day may be cliche holiday for some, but for me it’s one of my favorite times of year. I love mooshy shmooshy things like that. Maybe the difference is: We don’t buy gifts for each other. We show our love by giving extra hugs and kisses, making each other food, giving foot rubs…. just showing each other we care and love each other just as much (if not more) than “Day 1.”
Who can pass up sweets? Not us! We are making some cherry hand pies in the shape of hearts in celebration of Valentine’s Day, this year. They are fun to make and even more fun to eat.
There are a lot of little tips and tricks to pit a cherry. For me, I found using an iced tea spoon and simply digging the pit out worked best for me.
Next, make your dough. I always make my own dough, but with that said I am very comfortable making dough. I have done it for years. Aren’t comfortable, too busy, or just want something quick? Buy it premade! It’s actually pretty delicious!
Using your kindergarten crafting skills, make a quick cardboard cutout with your recyclable items. Who says you wont use what you learn in school throughout life?
Simply lay the template on your dough and cut around the shape using a butter knife.
Cherry filling for Petite Cherry Hand Pies for Valentine’s Day
- Cherry filling:
- 2 cups pitted cherries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tbsp corn starch
- Combined all ingredients into a saucepan Bring up to a boil on medium-high heat.Continue boil for 7 minutes them reduce to simmer.
- Take 1/2 tbs corn starch and 1/2 tbsp of cherry juice from sauce pan and whisk together in a small bowl (this process as apposed to just adding the corn starch directly to the cherries will prevent lumps.) Once whisked together and is smooth add to sauce pan.
- Continue simmering for 10. minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Once cooled store away or immediately fill pie shell.
Pie crust for Petite Cherry Hand Pies for Valentine’s Day
- Pie crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 sticks of frozen butter
- 1/4 COLD water
- Grate 2 sticks of frozen butter into a food possessor, add flour and salt. Pulse until combined; Slowly add water while pulsing until a dough forms. Drop dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Cover while slightly compressing to form a flat disk ;refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out on a floured surface using a rolling pin to 1/4? thick. Using a heart template, cut heart shapes out of dough and place on cookie sheet. Top hearts with 1 tbsp of cherry mixture and top with another heart shape. Using a fork compress sides together. Brush tops with an egg wash.
- Bake at 375F for 30 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
Have a happy Valentine’s Day! Be sure to Pin this recipe or bookmark it for later. We will have more Valentine’s Day recipes soon! Keep up with us on social media…until next time
Cooked with Love,
More Like This
Recent Posts by Mommahen
Most Popular on BlogHer
There’s no better vehicle to bring the family together than the Chevy Traverse. It’s the ultimate family vehicle, and the inspiration behind the tales that these bloggers are sharing about those special moments spent with their families. Check out the posts to see just how different, and, in many ways, the same, family time is nowadays as compared to when the bloggers were younger. Read more