Pineapple Upside down Cake
From my previous post it’s quite evident that I love baking. My little S was born in July 2010. My in-laws were here to help me out during delivery and after. They suggested that we should celebrate little S birthday monthly. The first month I have ordered a cake and invited few friends. The next month my husband was out of the station and then I decided to bake a cake and it turned out pretty well and my in-laws and friends loved it. Hence from then I have started baking for each and every month and also for the birthdays in between. Pineapple Upside down cake was baked during October 2010 when my little S is 3 months old and was an instant hit among my family. The recipe is adapted from here.
Courtesy: Sailu's Food
- Preheat oven to 175 C or 350 F. Grease and flour a round baking pan. Prepare the topping by melting butter in a pan and add brown sugar. As the sugar melts and foams, cook on medium flame for a minute and pour into the baking pan. Over this sugar layer, place pineapple slices and in the center of each pineapple piece place a glazed cherry. Keep aside.
- Sieve maida, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar. Use a hand blender to make a smooth creamy mixture. Add the beaten egg and combine well. Add vanilla extract and combine.
- Fold in the maida mixture little by little alternating with milk. Do not over beat; just fold the dry till there is not trace of any flour.
- Pour batter over the fruit layer. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or till a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool, slice and serve at room temperature.