Pizza bread is simply whole wheat bread dough with pizza toppings rolled up inside of it. Slice this bread into thin strips and serve it warm or at room temperature with marinara sauce for dipping.
Start by letting frozen bread dough defrost and rise. Then, roll it out into a large rectangle and cover it in pizza sauce. Leave a one inch edge free of sauce. Cover the sauce with mozzarella, parmesan, and pepperoni slices.
Start with one of the long ends of the rectangle and roll the bread up (like a jelly roll). Use the parchment paper to help you in the rolling process. End with the seam on the bottom of the bread roll.
Bake the bread for thirty minutes then let it rest for 10 minutes. Slice the bread into thin strips and serve it with more pizza (or marinara) sauce for dipping.
Pizza Bread Recipe:
- 1 loaf frozen whole wheat bread dough, that has been fully defrosted (or any type of bread dough that you like)
- ½ cup pizza sauce, or marinara sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp. parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 oz. pepperoni slices (about 25 slices)
- Optional – additional pizza or marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll the dough into a large rectangle (dough should be about ¼ inch thick). Place the dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spread the sauce over the dough, leaving a 1 inch edge free of sauce. Spread the mozzarella, parmesan, and pepperoni slices on top of the sauce.
- Roll the bread (like a jelly roll) using the parchment paper to help the rolling process. End with the seam on the bottom of the bread roll. Pinch the ends together and tuck them under the bread roll.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let the pizza bread cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with marinara or pizza sauce for dipping.