Pork Belly, Jalapeno and Apple Stuffing
By MissHostess on November 12, 2012
This is a great stuffing that you can use to stuff the turkey, a butterflied piece of pork loin, or just baked in a dish alone as a side. The smoky pork belly melds well with the apple, and is punched with spicy jalapeno. Use fresh, local ingredients for the best flavors.
- 10 slices pork belly or really good quality bacon, sliced in pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 10 slices jalapeno, left whole or loosely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 5 slices whole wheat crusty bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 apples, cored, peeled, and sliced into 1/2 inch cubes (I used Golden Delicious)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sage
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- Salt and pepper
Melt butter in large saucepan and sautee onion over medium heat for about five minutes and then add bacon and garlic. Sautee bacon until golden and slightly crispy, about 5-8 minutes. Add sliced bread, apples, broth, sage, jalapeno, and salt and a generous amount of pepper, stir until everything is incorporated. Simmer uncovered and stir occasionally for 8 minutes. Add dried cranberries.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place stuffing in baking dish and bake, uncovered for 10-15 minutes. Serve immediately.
More Like This
Recent Posts by MissHostess
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Food
Recent Comments on Food