Preschool is a big deal
By playdatecrashers on August 22, 2012
My life is about to change pretty drastically. I don't mean to be all dramatic about it, but it's true. Beginning this Friday, my oldest, Miles, will begin attending preschool three half-days a week.
It's just now beginning to hit me how much things are going to change around here. Sure, there will be the relative quiet on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings while Miles is at school and Spencer and I are alone at home. Yes, the drop off and pick up routine will make for slightly more complicated mornings. But the biggest impact will be that I can no longer take off with the boys and go do whatever we want -- trips to the park or a long weekend at Grandma's. We're now on someone else's schedule.
I've been telling people that I'm glad Miles will have this year of 3 half-days a week to adjust to the idea of school before he's thrust into an 8 hours a day, 5 day a week schedule, but really it's probably good for me too! I'm not used to having to be anywhere early in the morning, let alone trying to get one or both boys ready for the day by 7:45am.
Don't get me wrong, I'm excited. I can't wait to hear what he thinks of school and how much fun he's having. I'm thrilled to have some one-on-one time with Spencer (we need to work on potty training, letters, numbers, and colors!). It's just going to take some adjustment for this mama who sometimes doesn't shower until 3 or 4 in the afternoon and considers it a major undertaking to go grocery shopping with both kids.
Miles's small, private school moved into a new building over the weekend and as a result, their first day of classes has been pushed back more than three weeks. He was originally supposed to arrive for his first day of preschool a mere 10 hours after I arrived home from BlogHer '12, so the extra days have been good for us. I've had a little more time to wrap my head around what's coming for us.
I've been searching Pinterest for great ideas that go along with the first day of school and here are my favorites from my School Days Pinterest board:
- These adorable first day of school printables (Pre-K - 12th grade) FREE from chickabug.com via howdoesshe.com (Newsletter signup required for download, but it's absolutely worth it! You get more amazing printables when you sign up!). I've got our Pre-K sign printed out, ready for photos!
- A photo idea - A photo on the last day of school holding a framed photo from the first day of school that year. A must see, from Call Me Crafty Al
- A cute way to preserve memories. Add text to a photo of your child on the first day of school with all of their favorites. See it here, from RaechelMyers.com She actually does it on the last day, either could work.
- This huge list of Back to School photos to take, from Simple As That
- And finally, these super easy Comfort Me Hearts for a child to keep in their pocket on the first day of school (or any other time they need to be reminded of their parents' love -- doctor's appointments, sleepovers). I thought these were the sweetest thing ever and made one last night! You can purchase them from CurlyBirds on Etsy!
Keep checking my School Days Pinterest board, I'll continue adding things!
What's the cutest idea you've seen for marking the first day of school? Leave a link (if you have one) in the comments!
More Like This
Recent Posts by playdatecrashers
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Lori Luna
Most Popular on Family