Prominent Food Blogger Discovers Plagiarized Ebook
By Genie Gratto on January 13, 2012
BlogHer Original Post
So what's the solution?
Though Amazon.com pulled down the stolen manuscript, Bauer said she doesn't think that goes far enough. She would like to see all ebook companies adopt a better way of dealing with reported and confirmed offenders by taking the following steps:
- Retract any plagiarized ebook from a customer account to which it has been downloaded. In 2009, Amazon.com deleted an edition of George Orwell's 1984 from customers who had downloaded it, but according to the New York Times article about that retraction, the company decided that would not remain their standard protocol going forward.
- Credit the customer the amount they paid for a plagiarized book.
- Withdraw publishing privileges from authors who violate terms of service.
"I don't care about the compensation," Bauer said. "I do care that there are dozens, if not hundreds of copies out there of my work with someone else's name on it."
Bauer is far from alone in this frustration. Just yesterday, Kalyn Denny of Kalyn's Kitchen lamented the prevalence of content thieves in this tweet:
If you're looking for more information about detecting and then stopping content scrapers, I encourage you to check out the following resources:
- How To Get Stolen Content Removed by BringUpBee on BlogHer.com
- Plagiarism On The Web: Emotional Reactions to Content Theft by Melissa Ford on BlogHer.com
- How To Deal With Copyright Theft by Elise Bauer on Food Blog Alliance
- Content ScrapersHow to Find Out Who is Stealing Your Content & What to Do About It by Kristi Hines of KISSmetrics.
Have you had your blog content scraped and reposted on the web? Has it ended up in an ebook? Share your experiences and thoughts on this in the comments below.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Genie Gratto
Most Popular on BlogHer
Amazon's ‘The Man In the High Castle’ Makes Us Think About Racism, Anti-Semitism and Fascism in America
Most Popular on Food
FoodSaver® Reviews & Giveaways
Save time, money and space with the FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System! Air is the enemy of freshness and FoodSaver® vacuum sealers remove and lock out air and moisture. It keeps food fresh up to 5x longer! Read our bloggers' posts and know more about FoodSaver® plus get a chance to win $100!
Recent Comments on Food