Prominent Food Blogger Discovers Plagiarized Ebook
By Genie Gratto on January 13, 2012
BlogHer Original Post
So what's the solution?
Though Amazon.com pulled down the stolen manuscript, Bauer said she doesn't think that goes far enough. She would like to see all ebook companies adopt a better way of dealing with reported and confirmed offenders by taking the following steps:
- Retract any plagiarized ebook from a customer account to which it has been downloaded. In 2009, Amazon.com deleted an edition of George Orwell's 1984 from customers who had downloaded it, but according to the New York Times article about that retraction, the company decided that would not remain their standard protocol going forward.
- Credit the customer the amount they paid for a plagiarized book.
- Withdraw publishing privileges from authors who violate terms of service.
"I don't care about the compensation," Bauer said. "I do care that there are dozens, if not hundreds of copies out there of my work with someone else's name on it."
Bauer is far from alone in this frustration. Just yesterday, Kalyn Denny of Kalyn's Kitchen lamented the prevalence of content thieves in this tweet:
If you're looking for more information about detecting and then stopping content scrapers, I encourage you to check out the following resources:
- How To Get Stolen Content Removed by BringUpBee on BlogHer.com
- Plagiarism On The Web: Emotional Reactions to Content Theft by Melissa Ford on BlogHer.com
- How To Deal With Copyright Theft by Elise Bauer on Food Blog Alliance
- Content ScrapersHow to Find Out Who is Stealing Your Content & What to Do About It by Kristi Hines of KISSmetrics.
Have you had your blog content scraped and reposted on the web? Has it ended up in an ebook? Share your experiences and thoughts on this in the comments below.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Genie Gratto
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Lori Luna
Sparkling ICE is a bold flavored sparkling water that truly delivers on taste and contains just the right amount of fizz. Read our bloggers' posts and get more details on how you can enter the Flavor Face Off plus find out more about the delicious flavors that Sparkling ICE has to offer. Read more