Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal: Fast and Easy, Great for Kids and Nursing Moms!
By UrbanEarthworm on December 11, 2013
This easy pumpkin spice oatmeal recipe is a fast and hearty breakfast that my kids ask for repeatedly during the fall and winter months. It is also an excellent recipe for nursing mothers as it helps keep milk supply up and packs a real nutritional punch.
Oddly enough, I am not a fan of pumpkin pie, but I love all things pumpkin spice - Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer, Pumpkin Spice Pancakes, and pretty much any iced pastry with "Pumpkin Spice" in the title.
This is my go-to breakfast in the cold weather months. Oatmeal is already a healthy, hearty breakfast, and the pumpkin and molasses both add an extra kick of vitamins and minerals. It was also wonderful for amping up my milk supply while I was nursing.
The recipe below is for one bowl (great for before school/work). You can also multiply everything by 4 (or whatever number you want) and make it in a crock pot.
Also please note that the amounts for Oatmeal and Water will vary based on the kind of oatmeal you use; I use a mixture that is 1/2 steel cut oats and 1/2 muesli mix.
1/4 cup dried oats
1/3 cup water
3 tbsp pumpkin puree
1 tbsp blackstrap molasses*
1 tsp real maple syrup*
1/2 tsp cinnamon*
1/4 tsp allspice*
1/4 tsp ginger*
1/8 tsp cloves*
- You can substitute the cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and cloves for 1 tsp "pumpkin pie spice," but watch out for added preservatives. I make my own (in roughly the proportions listed above).
- You can substitute brown sugar for the molasses and/or the maple syrup, but the flavor won't be quite as perfect. Also, if you subtract the molasses, you're losing an excellent source of iron, calcium, manganese, and copper.
1. Mix the oats and water in a microwave-safe bowl.
2. Microwave for 3 minutes. Stir. Add an additional tbsp water if necessary. Microwave for one more minute. (proceed to step 2 below).
1. Prepare one bowl of plain, unsweetened oatmeal according to package directions.
2. Stir in the pumpkin, molasses, syrup, and spices. 3. Serve and enjoy!
Stay warm, friends!
More Like This
Recent Posts by UrbanEarthworm
Most Popular on BlogHer
Save time, money and space with the FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System! AND it keeps food fresh up to 5x longer! Read our bloggers' experiences with the FoodSaver® System and see why you should get one for your home. Plus get a chance to win $100 Visa gift card! Read more