Quick Healthy Tostada Recipe
By bethm1687 on July 27, 2014
You may have seen me post homemade treats and quick, healthy dishes on instagram, but there’s not much room to elaborate about directions and details. Rather, the photo does most of the talking. So, I invite you to indulge in this quick recipe that's light on the calories and big on taste.
- 1 Corn Tortilla. I like to use Mission yellow corn tortillas. (As an added plus for all you gluten-free folks, they’re right up your alley.)
- Sprinkle of reduced fat cheese. (Sargento is my fave.)
- 1/2 cup fresh cut veggies. (I recommend red and yellow bell peppers, spinach, and green onions.)
- 2 slices of turkey bacon. (Trader Joe’s is mmm mmm good!)
- First, follow directions to cook your turkey bacon, (most likely heat up in the frying pan) cut in thin slices, and set to the side.
- Use the same pan to cook your veggies. The leftover flavor of the bacon infuses the veggies, and tastes divine!
- Cut all your veggies into little cubes, combine them and throw in the pan, cooking a few minutes until they’re ready. You can also opt to add a tablespoon of olive oil for added flavor. Again, set to the side.
- Sprinkle some shredded cheese directly onto the pan and immediately after, place your corn tortilla on top of it. Add the bacon, veggies, and another sprinkle of cheese on top of your tortilla. Let it sizzle for approximately 1 minute, and you’ll have a golden crust (without a ton of oil) to achieve a delicious crunch with each bite.
- Add cilantro, salt, and pepper to taste.
*Hint: I also LOVE adding Trader Joe’s salsa verde on top to add a punch of flavor.
Voila! You’ve got yourself a perfect serving of protein, fresh vegetables and carbohydrates to start your day with health on your side.
It’s all about taking the right steps toward health…no matter how small they are.
More Like This
Recent Posts by bethm1687
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Food
Recent Comments on Food
By Peppylady 60